Find the answer to your Linux question:
Concerning *nix distros: Debian LunarLinux FreeBSD Debian likes GRUB. Lunar likes LILO. And FreeBSD is a thorn in my side. They all seem to screw with my Windows' (XP, Vista, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sextruple-boot (6 OS's) question...

Concerning *nix distros:
    Debian
    LunarLinux
    FreeBSD

Debian likes GRUB. Lunar likes LILO. And FreeBSD is a thorn in my side. They all seem to screw with my Windows' (XP, Vista, and even MS-DOS) boot configuration. While I can add these non-*nix OS's to the menu of both GRUB and LILO, Windows' boot especially tends to be corrupted.

Main priority is XP's stability, seeing that I am a complete *nix noob. All OS's are located in a designated partition on my physical drive.

Generally speaking, could I install these and by-pass there inclusion in the MBR, then later use WinGRUB to configure proper boot listing?

A six-way boot? Even dual-boot systems annoy me. (Because I realistically am only going to use one OS on one machine - that's just me.)

If the stability of XP is your primary concern, maybe you should consider getting a test box to put these complex configurations on. That'll allow you to break, fix, and re-break your system until you're satisfied with it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    A six-way boot? Even dual-boot systems annoy me. (Because I realistically am only going to use one OS on one machine - that's just me.)

If the stability of XP is your primary concern, maybe you should consider getting a test box to put these complex configurations on. That'll allow you to break, fix, and re-break your system until you're satisfied with it.
    Something, I have also considered.

My drive is 120GB, and I'm sure I'll only use a max of 50GB. Figured I could geek it out in order to expand my mental horizons.

Maybe I'll buy a smaller portable disk drive to use exclusively as a 'i know what I am doing' drive. Either way, I would still like to know how to get around this mess. Thanks for your reply.

* install Boot Loader ( GRUB or Lilo ) in the root partition of each distro.
    * create images of first sector of all root partitions and save in C:/ drive of Windows.
    * add entries in boot.ini file.

you can use BootPart to do all this stuff. check this link.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First