Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive just recently switched to ubuntu from pclinuxos, figuring there would be more support for it...but anyway, here is my problem. in device manager, the modem itself is recognized, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

modem problem

ive just recently switched to ubuntu from pclinuxos, figuring there would be more support for it...but anyway, here is my problem.

in device manager, the modem itself is recognized, so i know its actually in there and the computer knows it. however, when i go into the properties for the modem, i enter in the phone number, username and password, and clicked on "autodetect" under what port its in. after a couple of seconds it said autodetect failed, but i know its plugged in! so instead i tried it under dev/modem, and that didnt seem to do anything, and neither did dev/ttys4. when i have it set under those, i click activate and nothing even happens (not even an attempt to connect!).

so im trying to figure out why this is such a problem! i had problems with a dial-up connection on PCLOS too, thats why i switched! anyway, its a u.s. robotics modem, and if anybody could help me out that would be great. thanks!

ok well nevermind because ive just switched back to PCLOS....but if anybody can help me configure my modem on THAT....thanks!