Find the answer to your Linux question:
To all geeks, wizards, and gurus, When i finally got hold of my new Knoppix livecd and went ahead with installation, it went upto the point, of saying Boot.... and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face unable to run knoppix livecd, Graphics problem...? Help this just-born newbie

To all geeks, wizards, and gurus,

When i finally got hold of my new Knoppix livecd and went ahead with installation, it went upto the point, of saying

Boot.... and then, this came up.

PCI unable to handle 64 bit address space

I have a C2D intel CPU, with an Intel DG965RY motherboard. And i ain't that rich to go for anything more than the onboard graphics chip. So my graphics card is what my MoBo gives me. Does this motherboard have issues with linux...?

What could be possibly wrong..?

Please help me. I so badly want to jump onto the linux bandwagon and stop making Bill Gates so damned rich..

But i seem to be running into problems even with a livecd.

I haven't tried installing my any other distros. Haven't downloaded anything else so far.

Check out the knoppix "cheat codes" wiki here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

(I think a lot of these options are viewable if you use the help function key at boot time, too.)

Some potentially useful ones for you to try:
    • First try booting with knoppix pci=bios - if that doesn't work,
    • Try booting with knoppix failsafe

Hopefully one of those will do it.

Just Joined!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Check out the knoppix "cheat codes" wiki here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

(I think a lot of these options are viewable if you use the help function key at boot time, too.)

Some potentially useful ones for you to try:
    • First try booting with knoppix pci=bios - if that doesn't work,
    • Try booting with knoppix failsafe

Hopefully one of those will do it.
    i tried every possible cheatcode. nothing works. Does it have anything to do with the fact that my knoppix is a 2003 build...? is it because that version of knoppix is too old to support a 965 mobo. will i have the same trouble with every version of linux...?

sorry to be sounding so naive, but that's what i really am when it comes to computers in general, and linux in particular

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Unless you have a good reason to be using such an old build, get the latest and try again.