Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok im a dumb newb and i made a really dumb mistake ok i have been trying to get rid of linux and put windows back on well i was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I Made A Big Mistake!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok im a dumb newb and i made a really dumb mistake ok i have been trying to get rid of linux and put windows back on well i was stupid and i went in linux's fdisk and deleted my number one linux pation. So now it won't load all the way cuz it's missing stuff and i can't get windows 98se back on it cuz everytime i try to make a dos partion (even when linux was running right) it wouldn't work so i need a way to clear my hardrive totaly so i can put windows. Please someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    what partition did you delete? /boot / or the windows98?
    can't you just use a windows boot-disk to delete all Non-Dos partitions? and then install everything again?

Linux Engineer
    if you have a knoppix CD or a rescue floppy, you can boot one of those and use linux fdisk to remove the rest of the linux partitions and reinstall win98se.... M$ fdisk can't see *nix partitions for some reason, so you have to use the linux fdisk to remove those partitions.. also, after you do that, you'll have to execute 'fdisk /mbr' to put the windows bootloader back in the MBR....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    See my problem though is that i only have linux on my computer i didn't do a dual boot. I don't remember what one i deleted it was one of the linux ones though i think it was my main one. How can i get to fdisk though cuz even when i put in my boot disk it comes up and says linux will start in 10seconds and i have no idea what to do. Remember I'm totaly new to linux and have no clue what the heck im going. So how do i get to linux on the start up is there a command line like with windows?

Linux Engineer
    when you use a bootdisk, it boots linux... just wait for it to boot and then use fdisk from a shell prompt. linux is the OS on the bootdisk if you made it in linux.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    when you use a bootdisk, it boots linux... just wait for it to boot and then use fdisk from a shell prompt. linux is the OS on the bootdisk if you made it in linux.

Ok do u think u could tell me exactly what i should do to get windows 98se back on my computer? Should i make a pation for windows or delete all my linux partions? what should i do?

Linux Engineer
    you have to delete all of the linux partitions... then you have to use a ms-dos or win98 bootdisk to start the win98 install process.. it will partition your hdd and then reboot to start the installation over again... you will have to leave the bootdisk in the floppy drive to reboot to a dos prompt again and the restart the install program... it will then format and install... at some point (probably before you start the win98se install) you will have to type:
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    to fix your MBR (i.e. remove GRUB/lilo)

Linux Newbie

re:

if you have troble deleting patitions then use aefdisk. availible from www.shareware.com for more info read the readme file.
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

reformat

um.. if u dont have sensative data and dont care about ur linux partitions. and u already uninstalled windows...y dont u just reformat the entire drive, admitaintly it will take a while, and is akin to using a sledgehammer on ur mothers favoarte china, but it will make it easy to install ur windows. this can be done w/ any windows boot disk, infact any boot disk will do it.

Just Joined!
    I got it to work i have windows up and running. I would just like to say thank you to all the people out there for your advice.

Thanks A Lot...