Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, After a reboot during the actually gentoo linux install, and the not yet configured GRUB, it has now become the case that I am unable to boot windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

...Can't boot Win XP - Crucial to work...

Hi,

After a reboot during the actually gentoo linux install, and the not yet configured GRUB, it has now become the case that I am unable to boot windows XP on hda (partition 1). When I start the PC, I am presented with a GRUB command line with the prompt grub>. I don't know anything about GRUB, but I really need to boot windows ASAP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    James.

Linux Engineer
    use the gentoo live cd and follow the install instructions up tot he point where you configure grub

Just Joined!
    I also had the same problem through messing around. Reboot from your XP installation disk you can repair your master boot file.

If you need some instructions for this send a reply.

Hope this helps

Just Joined!
    Alternatively, i think you can boot into windows by giving grub the appropriate parameters....
    There are commands that you can execute at the grub prompt.
    try the foll commands, assuming windows is installed on the primary partition:

bootnoverify(hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

with respect to 'bootnoverify'.... it is either bootnoverify or rootnoverify. check

Just Joined!

Win XP Boot Fix

If you XP OS is critical to get back up ASAP, then boot up with the XP install disc, and choose repair (I still think it works the same as 2K), then you can run the commands FixBOOT and FixMBR.

Cheers, Zegos!