Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. When I was installing Mandrake 10.0 Community it told me that it couldn't configure my sound card, so once the OS was up and running I used the sndconfig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Sound!

Hello.

When I was installing Mandrake 10.0 Community it told me that it couldn't configure my sound card, so once the OS was up and running I used the sndconfig command to try and get it going. It seemed to work and played a sound sample for me, but after I confirm that I've heard the sample it freezes and I'm left with no sound. Any ideas as to why that might be would be very much appreciated.

This promblem seems a little outrageous to me because I have a Sound Blaster 16-bit card, the most generic card there is!

Linux Engineer
    RPM based distros like mandrake/redhat/suse are generaly not very good imo.. try gentoo - it cannot be beaten! Anyway

as root run this command and post the output in your reply:

modprobe emu10k1

If there is no output then the command was sucsesfull and you should be able to acesses your soundcard and configure it with aumix/kmix or some other app.
    If you join the IRC channle it will be easyer to help witht this sort of problem. See my signature for details.

Just Joined!
    I typed in modprobe emu10k1 and there was no output but I am still uable to get any sound. When I try to open a mixer it says:

Couldn't open mixer device /dev/sound/mixer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    When I try a different mixer I get:

Volume control is unable to run correctly.

Unable to open audio device '/dev/mixer'.
    Please check that you have permissions to open '/dev/mixer'
    and that you have sound support in your kernel.

Press Quit to exit Volume control

Linux Engineer
    In most distros you need to be in the audio group.. also check that the application you are attempting to play sound in is useing the correct audio plugin.. ALSA/OSS etc