Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Updating Linux to gain internet access

I'm installing Debian linux on my Dell Inspiron laptop, first time Linux install. I've gotten through the installation process fine, but I have a Linksys Instant Wireless WPC11 v.3 network card which is my only means to connect to the internet. I've found some solid-looking tutorials on the internet about specifically configuring this card. To do this, however, it appears that I have to update the kernel to 2.4 or higher, which requires me to get packages from the internet using apt-get. I obviously don't have any internet access on that machine yet; however, I do have another machine with the internet and a cd burner.

What would be a way to get around this? Is there a way to update packages via other media?

Have a look at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ap...basico.en.html
    The bottom of the page is how to add a cd to the source list for apt, that way you'll be able to download what you need and burn it to disk, then install the packages on your laptop.

Thanks for the reply! I've got Debian Etch up and running now; I'm having some problems with the networking, but I'll post that in another thread.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close