Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am using an asus geforce 4 fx 5200 graphiccs card, and having problems. I boot into the command mode (runlevel 3), and log in. But after that, whenever i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

asus geforce 4 fx5200 problem with redhat 9

i am using an asus geforce 4 fx 5200 graphiccs card, and having problems.
    I boot into the command mode (runlevel 3), and log in. But after that, whenever i start the X server, the monitor goes into standby mode... (orange lead instead of green). I have a nvidia nforce 2 chipset. According to me, it is a redhat and geforce conflict. What could be the solution?

Linux Engineer
    did you install the nvidia drivers? have you edited your XF86Config to make sure that the horiz. and vert. refresh rates are correct?

if you have the first, but have not done the second, please post only the Monitor and Device section from your /etc/X11/XF86Config (might be /etc/X11/XF86Config-4).. also, try to look in your monitor's manual or on google for the refresh rates for your monitor... all of this information will help us resolve your problem.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Usualy when this happend you are using a screenresolution not supported by your monitor.
    What happens when you press: control+alt+<minus key, on keypad) ?
    Use the plus key, with ctrl and alt, to increase screen resolution.

Another thing that could help is, before you start X, remove, as root, the X86Free.log from your /var/log directory and try starting X.
    If the screen stays blank, swith back to text mode with alt+F1 and kill X.
    Read the new log file to see if anything strange happens, mainly concerning videocard, monitor, etc.
    You can also post it here so we can have a look.
    And the sections: Monitor, Screen, Device from you XF86Config.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.