Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi: New to Linux. I installed Suse 10.1 on an old Vaio Laptop with a smallish HD. I have been playing around ...... er learning Linux for about a week. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need to move to larger HD, need help

Hi:

New to Linux. I installed Suse 10.1 on an old Vaio Laptop with a smallish HD. I have been playing around ...... er learning Linux for about a week. I would like to increase the size of my hard drive, but, I don't want to have to re-install etc. all my files apps etc. (I have a ton of Tivo hacks etc. that I have installed). I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this. Remember, it is a notebook so I don't have a spare drive slot. I do have an EZ-Gig PCMCIA based drive controller, or I could buy a USB external drive adapter.

First question: Does anyone know if someone has installed the EZ-Gig adapter in Linux?

Second question: Ditto USB drive controller for HD.

OK, supposing that I get the second drive attached via either method above, what commands do I use to "clone" my linux install to the new drive?

Third question: Should I use (g)parted? to copy partitions?

Fourth question: Should I use dd?

Thanks in advance for any help,

OK, supposing that I get the second drive attached via either method above, what commands do I use to "clone" my linux install to the new drive?
    you can use PartImage to create image ( clone ) of existing partition(s). it works perfectly.

i never used EZ-Gig adapter. i hope someone will chime in soon and suggest you regarding that.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    you can use PartImage to create image ( clone ) of existing partition(s). it works perfectly.

i never used EZ-Gig adapter. i hope someone will chime in soon and suggest you regarding that.

Casper
    As usual.... Thank You Casper! That reference looks great!

Say what time is it there in INDIA??? it is 16:46GMT or 10:47am here in Chicago.

I am tracking down some posts for the EZ-Gig but it doesn't look too promising. I will probably need to use the USB adapter method.

I have a lot of catching up to do on what is avaiable in Linux today (I learned Unix about 20 years ago and I don't have a very good memory ) I am finding out so many cool things.

Oh yes, if you didn't see my other post, I was able to get my CDRW working great thanks to your "hints".

Hi park_ridge_dave !

i checked that thread later on and i am glad it worked... its 10:31 pm here !
    i worked on Unix platform around 6 years ago. joined Linux world again in June this year and its an amazing OS.
    it has everything you need. check this list....
    i will check EZ-Gig compatibility in Linux and 'll let you know...

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First