Find the answer to your Linux question:
O.k, First off, my soud works great with Alsaconf, but is there any way that I can edit my startup settings to include running alsaconf so that I don't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

alsaconf/ndiswrapper and kernel upgrade

O.k, First off, my soud works great with Alsaconf, but is there any way that I can edit my startup settings to include running alsaconf so that I don't have to do so manually? On a completely unrelated note, I somehow have 3 different boot options in grub. Debian Etch 2.6.17-2 (486 version), Debian 2.6.18-3 (486), Debian 2.6.18-3 (686). But it gets even more complicated yet... My NDiswrapper wireless internet setup mysteriously does not work in the 2.6.18-3 kernels... The NDiswrapper module does not load and I cannot use modprobe ndiswrapper to bring it back up. What is wrong with my internet setup and how do I find out which version (486 or 686) I can delete?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric
    O.k, First off, my soud works great with Alsaconf, but is there any way that I can edit my startup settings to include running alsaconf so that I don't have to do so manually?
    Normally runnning
    Code:
    alsamixer
    once takes care of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric
    My NDiswrapper wireless internet setup mysteriously does not work in the 2.6.18-3 kernels... The NDiswrapper module does not load and I cannot use modprobe ndiswrapper to bring it back up.
    Did you install NDISWRAPPER using the Debian packages ? Which wireless card is that ? Did you compile the NDISWRAPPER module for your new kernel ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Linux Newbie
    Alsaconf does NOT automatically start up. I have to run it every time I start up. It's a bcm4318 (no, the usual bcm43xx driver doesn't work). I compiled myself, do I need to recompile after every kernel upgrade? Do I have to do that for everything? That would seem like quite a bit of work... Still have one question you didn't even partially answer. How do I know if I should use the 686 or the 486 version of the kernel?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close