Find the answer to your Linux question:
Boy I have been at this a couple of days. But I am at a fork in the road. The intel script for adding support for the onboard sound chip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to get audio hooked up

Boy I have been at this a couple of days. But I am at a fork in the road.
    The intel script for adding support for the onboard sound chip looks for kernel sources in /usr/src/linux or /usr/src/linux-2.4 or /usr/src/linux-2.4-20.8 - you know, the location the kermel development gets put in if you use the package manager interface. Now there's the kernel sources in the source CD which when installed with rpm is going to the /usr/src/rehat tree under rpm management.

How do I reconcile the two??? Should I edit the Intel script to point it to the rpm tree of /usr/src ? Which is better appraoch letting rpm build or using menuconfig and make?

Not terribly happy
    Eric W

What's the chip?
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!

SoundMax chip

Analog Devices I belive it is AD1985. That's the CODEC chip anyway

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    assuming that the driver is allready available on your system then the module name is ac97 so to install it do:

modprobe ac97 (as root)

failing that follow the instructions here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...odule=intel8x0

Remember that for allmost all devices there is an open source set of drivers that should be used in place of any proprietry linux drivers from the manufacturer. Typicaly the drivers are allready part of the kernlel or as loadable modules.

Just Joined!
    Yes, yes - aside from not fully understanding loadable kernel modules under Unix/linux (I am a windows developer so I am all over dll's and static lib's)

These don't answer my real question:
    How do I reconcile the RPM management of source code with vendor's source code (kernel). Does no one even use the RPM source packages for the kernel or what?