Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried a few distributions and they failed to detect my on board ethernet. I have to compile the driver which I found on the internet. I need a distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED]Which small distro support compiling driver/kernel

I've tried a few distributions and they failed to detect my on board ethernet. I have to compile the driver which I found on the internet.

I need a distro that is:

1) small, I highly prefer it to be able to install on a 1GB USB flash drive, if not possible then I'll burn it on CD

2) support compiling driver, i.e. comes with all the necessary development tools and kernel source and other stuffs to allow me to compile driver/kernel.

note:
    i have 1GB RAM and 1GB USB flash drive

- SLAX, liveUSB boot successfully but cannot detect ethernet, cannot connect to internet, unable to compile ethernet driver
    - knoppix liveUSB boot successfully with "knoppix vga=normal" but cannot detect ethernet, cannot connect to internet, unable to compile ethernet driver
    - Damn small linux failed to boot
    - tried to install Fedora core but my USB flash drive is too small, failed to install as it requires more than 1GB of free space

update:

please read this page for more information
    http://www.hogchain.net/attansic/attansic.html

note) THIS METHOD IS JUST EXPERIMENTAL, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

1) I installed PCLinuxOS 0.93a junior LiveUSB.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2006/08...-memory-stick/
    2**) I followed the instructions in the readme file that come along my driver to compile and install the driver.
    ftp://hogchain.net/pub/linux/m2v/att....1.40.6.tar.gz
    3) I ran adsl-setup
    4) Successful connecting to Internet

note for 2**)
    i use insmod atl1.ko instead of insmod atl1 which is written in the readme file.
    Last edited by tejvenim; 12-25-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Perhaps you can give Zenwalk 4.0 a try. It comes with all the necessary build tools, and being Slackware based, it's easy to build from source.

Out of curiosity, what's your network card (or onboard) model ?
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    My on board ethernet is Attansic L1. I google around and it seems like many people have the problem of detecting it.

http://www.hogchain.net/attansic/attansic.html

Linux User
    Could you not plug in a PCI ethernet card into your MB which would be better detected? They don't cost very much new.