Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive that i bought. i wanted to install it on my internal hard drive but i share this computer with my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu on an external hard drive

i want to install Ubuntu on an external hard drive that i bought. i wanted to install it on my internal hard drive but i share this computer with my family so they wont let me but they said as long as they can still use windows i can install it on my external hard drive. so how would i do this? or is it even possible? im pretty sure my computer is able to boot from a usb but I'll go double check right now.

Just Joined!
    ok well i can boot form a usb device and i want to use Mandriva will that work

hi freestyle_rider9999 !

un-plug internal Harddisk and plug-in External USB harddisk. boot up from Ubuntu CD/DVD and install it.
    plug-in internal harddisk after Ubuntu installation and boot up from External Harddisk, you dont have un-plug internal Harddisk again. Ubuntu will recognize internal harddisk and you can share its data.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

will it cause a problem creating the grub if the internal hd is unplugged during installation?

i suggested you to un-plug internal Harddisk to aviod GRUB problem only. Ubuntu installer doesn't ask for GRUB location and it installs GRUB in MBR of Primary Master. un-plugging internal disk is the safest bet.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

sweet. i wasnt aware