Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I work in a lab with a group of various computers networked together each running different versions of redhat linux. One computer running redhat 8.0 has a nfs mounted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

etc/passwd and login failure

Hi
    I work in a lab with a group of various computers networked together each running different versions of redhat linux. One computer running redhat 8.0 has a nfs mounted harddrive. My boss wants it so that if audry logged in on one computer put a file into the hard drive audry logged into another computer can access it.
    Originally he wanted me to copy and paste the files from /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group from one computer to another, but this apparently doesnt work at all.
    When i try to login to the computer i copied the files onto
    it gives me the error

"Could not open or create the file home/audry/.gconfig-test-locking-file this indicates that there may be a problem with your configuration as many programs will need to create files in your home directory the error was 'permission denied'(errno = 13)''

is there a safer way of doing this,... He really wants me to get this done
    any help is greatly appreciated
    audry

Linux User
    you can use ftp or samba i guess?

Linux Guru
    What do you mean? It sounds to me as if you just want files to be accessible from all computers. Then what's wrong with NFS?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I would use an nfs server to share /home and use nis for universal logins.

Linux Guru
    If that's what he wants to do, I would certainly agree. I was just thinking that he might want to share everything, for example all configuration in /etc.