Find the answer to your Linux question:
Totally dumb when it comes to LINUX Just installed RED hat 9 I can login as root and then type startx... Fatal server error: no screens found XIO: fatal IO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    cef
    Just Joined!

no screens found

Totally dumb when it comes to LINUX

Just installed RED hat 9

I can login as root and then type startx...

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Maxtor 20 GB HD
    NVIDIA graphics card
    CTX monitor

chose desktop install

Thanks again for your time and ANY help will be appreciated.

PS. It would be nice to know how to scroll up so that i can read the entire help menu/error message.

PPS it would also be nice to see a list of hardware attached to the system if that is possible.

PPPS i am trying to run xf86config but have no idea how, when i make random attempts it enters some insane ">" mode that i cant exit
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

CEF

You need to configure Xfree. As root, start up "xf86cfg" or use the one Redhat made (don't know what its called though, maybe some other people at the forum can help you)

Quote Originally Posted by cef
    PS. It would be nice to know how to scroll up so that i can read the entire help menu/error message.
    You can do something like "startx > xfree-log" and later read it line by line by doing "more xfree-log". You also have a very useful logfile in /var/log called XFree86.X.log where X is the display you're using.

PPS it would also be nice to see a list of hardware attached to the system if that is possible.
    You can see that by using the command "lspci". That includes most hardware, and since ISA isn't used much anymore lspci is good. You also have more information in /proc, like cpuinfo and devices etc...
    PPPS i am trying to run xf86config but have no idea how, when i make random attempts it enters some insane ">" mode that i cant exit
    I'm not shure what you meant with the ">"'s but check out "xf86cfg" that I mentioned earlier on.

Good luck

Linux Engineer
    Hold down shift and page up/down keys to scroll.

cef
    Just Joined!
    All seems to be going well...

but i cant figure out how to mount and/or read the files on my cdrom let alone install them.

any advice would be much appreciated

Linux Engineer
    with a cd in the drive, do "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/" (assuming the cd drive is the secondary mater drive) then "ls /mnt" to view the contents. A command such as "lspci" will tell you some of the hardware attached to your pc.

Just Joined!

On PCLinuxOS

Using PCLinuxOS .93 with ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard and Samsung SyncMaster 794MG monitor 17"

I am getting the same error. While an earlier release .92 at least managed to bring up some basic screen, this one just throws me at the command prompt.

Any ideas?
    -SS.

Just Joined!
    Solved!! Get the original NVIDIA driver from their website
    -SS.