Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a linux distro that comes with compatible drivers for the Atheros AR5008 802.11n wireless card? I have a macbook core 2 duo and I've tried Ubuntu with this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Distro that supports Atheros AR5008 802.11n

Is there a linux distro that comes with compatible drivers for the Atheros AR5008 802.11n wireless card? I have a macbook core 2 duo and I've tried Ubuntu with this card and can't get it to work. So I was wondering if there were any better Linux Distros that worked with this card, preferably out of the box, but if not a distro that can easily be made to work with my card.

thanks

Are you refereing to the new 802.11n standard or 802.11abg ??
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Damned If I Know

I also have a MacBook Core 2 Duo. It's the 2.16GHz model. When I boot into Knoppix, the results of my lspci are as follows:

02:00.0 Network Controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. Unkown device 0024 (rev 01)
    As I understand it, the AR5008 chipset from the MacBook is currently unsupported by MadWifi. While I have not found anything specifically stating so, I would not be surprised if this is on the top of the "todo" list.

I would love to have native Linux support for my wireless card and earnestly await that day. Until then, if I have misspoken, please, someone, tell me otherwise (and provide the link to the gloriousness which is my wireless card in Linux).

You could try this.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

ndiswrapper with XP drivers should work, haven't tried it though
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Some Success, Updates Later

I've been able to get ndiswrapper to run and hook up my network, I'm in-progress on trying the thinkwiki how-to supplied by budman7. News-to-come.