Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Toshiba laptop has a Trident CyberBlade Ai1 onboard AGP video card with 16 MB SDRAM. I, however, cannot get "/sbin/modprobe agpgart" to work. The errors make it sound like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

buggy Trident CyberBlade Ai1 driver?

My Toshiba laptop has a Trident CyberBlade Ai1 onboard AGP video card with 16 MB SDRAM. I, however, cannot get "/sbin/modprobe agpgart" to work. The errors make it sound like a resource issue;

"/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o.gz: Can't locate module 2"

I checked with a "find / -name *agpgart*" and determined that the module is there in /lib/modules/yada...

I can only assume that the generic Trident CyberBlade driver does not expose interfaces for the agpgart module to bind with, or laptop video cards are too proprietary.

I have made the agpgart module work on other systems, and the difference is really nice. No mouse-droppings, or annoying copies of the window as I drag it accross the desktop...
    Any ideas?

Linux Enthusiast
    run `lspci -vv` to see if anything about your AGP shows up in there. I have always had my agp cards "just work" so I don't know quite where to start.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Here are the goods:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] M1644/M1644T Northbridge+Trident (rev 01)
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR+
    Latency: 0
    Region 0: Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: [b0] AGP version 2.0
    Command: RQ=0 SBA- AGP- 64bit- FW- Rate=<none>
    Capabilities: [a4] Power Management version 1
    Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] PCI to AGP Controller (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
    Status: Cap- 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
    Latency: 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    Memory behind bridge: f7f00000-fdffffff
    BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-

I left out all the parts about USB, IDE, sound, NIC, PCMCIA, and PCI to ISA bridge. The Toshiba website, and my original restoration disc set (WinXP home _gack..) both have the gart controller driver. I think it actually lets the system utilize the speed of the AGP bus.
    What I hope for is that someone has already discovered what the extra thing is, and written a patch. If I had a clue about C, and the various blends of C, I would give it a go myself.

Any Ideas?

Adam

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Try loading the agpgart module again, and then run "tail -20 /var/log/messages" and see what kernel messages are logged.

Linux Enthusiast
    Code:
    CONFIG_AGP_ALI&#58;                                                         |
      |                                                                         |
      | This option gives you AGP support for the GLX component of the          |
      | XFree86 4.x on the following ALi chipsets.  The supported chipsets      |
      | include M1541, M1621, M1631, M1632, M1641,M1647,and M1651.              |
      | For the ALi-chipset question, ALi suggests you refer to                 |
      | <http&#58;//www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/index.shtml>.                        |
      | The M1541 chipset can do AGP 1x and 2x, but note that there is an       |
      | acknowledged incompatibility with Matrox G200 cards. Due to             |
      | timing issues, this chipset cannot do AGP 2x with the G200.             |
      | This is a hardware limitation. AGP 1x seems to be fine, though.         |
      | You should say Y here if you use XFree86 3.3.6 or 4.x and want to       |
      | use GLX or DRI.  If unsure, say N.
    This is from the kernel help. Maybe they don't have support for the 1644 yet? I don't know man. Check the ALI site, they might have more information.

I did find a patch on kernel.org, but I seem to be having a hard time getting the command down right. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't I be able to run:
    "patch -p0 < agpgart-2.5.25-dj1.patch", and have the kernel patched? I Google'd the fact that relative paths are used, so I tried moving into the directory that the patch command was specifying that it couldn't find the certain files, but that only fixed the paths of the files in that directory. Do I need to move around into each directory for each file that patch fails to find?

Linux Enthusiast
    no, it is probably -p1 you are looking for
    patch -p1 < patch.diff

It worked a little better, but I just wound up giving the paths to the files to patch. Now I guess I need to recompile, and test the kernel...