Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off I'd like to thank the community for all the help you've provided, you got me up and running and answered my stupid newbie questions without shouting at me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting Windows Partition -- Shortcut??

First off I'd like to thank the community for all the help you've provided, you got me up and running and answered my stupid newbie questions without shouting at me to search first, and I really appreciate leaving out the "if you don't know ___________ then you don't need Linux anyway" adage that annoys everyone. Thanks everyone, keep up the good work!
    ---------
    Now onto my ... 4th, 5th question,
    I searched online and figured out how to mount a Windows partition, now is there a way I can create a shortcut or a shell script to do so without having to open a terminal window, logging in as root and typing in the command?

Linux Guru
    The best thing would be to enter a line in /etc/fstab, to make it mount at boot time. Say that your Windows partition is /dev/hda2, you want it mounted on /mnt/dos, and that it is a FAT filesystem, add this line:
    Code:
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/dos vfat defaults 0 0
    The first three columns are obviously the device to mount, the mountpoint and the file system. The fourth one is the mount options; "defaults" is probably what you want, otherwise see mount(8) for the supported mount options. The fifth column indicates how often the filesystem needs to be backed up using dump(8), and since you probably won't use that functionality, set to zero, indicating that it shouldn't be backed up. The sixth column indicates the order in which filesystems should be checked at boot time; zero indicates that it shouldn't be checked. If you want it to be checked, change it to two, which makes fsck check it only after it has checked the root filesystem. If it is a NTFS filesystem, you can't use it anyway, since there is no NTFS fsck for Linux, so set it to zero in that case.

Just Joined!
    i might not be much of an expert on this, but i have 6 windows partitions mounted and running under linux...

u can use linuxconf and in filesystems option... u can add to file systems to be mounted on boot,(im not sure if this needs automounter to be running, if it does u can enable it in startup/shutdown services under linux conf).

as dolda suggested, this is also a way to edit ur /etc/fstab entries, but u do not have to type anything... u can just add to the partitions specifying various params. it would be important to note that the windows fs (FAT 32) is known as vfat under linux and that u have to specify a mount point(eg. /Windows), you can additionally configure to be user mountable so that u dont need root access and to *NOT* mount at startup( by default it does).

i guess that should help you mount ur partitions on startup. the advantage of using this is that u can mount the partition at the same time as u configure it on linuxconf so u can check for mount errors

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

GUI

In KDE (Never tried it on gnome) right-click on the desktop and choose New / Disk then follow the wizard through choosing the correct partition. And ta-da a new shortcut to a windows partition.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.