Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all... well i have compiled a new kernel myself ( pats me on the back ). but during compile i did see a lot of warnings.. does it occur ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel 2.4.0-0.26 problems

hello all... well i have compiled a new kernel myself ( pats me on the back ). but during compile i did see a lot of warnings.. does it occur usually or there is something wrong.. the most common wraning i got was pasting would not create a valid preprocessor token during the make of certain device driver files.. esp whjen i was 'make'ing dep and modules.

secondly my kernel size comes out to be abt 1.7 mb.. im on a single workstation.. so have disabled almost all network support that i was not using.. so do u think my kernel size is optimum..??

next.. i compiled my sound device support into the kernel... but now i do not have sound.. for obvious reasons i cannot use sndconfig as i desables support for modular sound.. anything that i can do.. ??

next.. im a single PC user who connects to the internet thru a PPP connection.. so how much of networking support do i need??

Thanx for all ur help..

Linux Engineer
    You can usually ignore the warnings. My kernel is 1MB so I think you probably have a lot of stuff built into the kernel that you don't need. I built my nic and sound card into the kernel and it is still much smaller then yours. I suggest you go download the latest kernel(2.4.20) and compile that. Go thorugh each option and read the help for it. It describes you what it does so you should know if you need it or not. If you are uncertian at all, build it as a module so you can load it later with modprobe if you need it. As for your sound not working, what sound card do you have and what did you enable in the kernel? Check to see if /dev/dsp exist. A lot of the networking options you will not need, again go read the help for them and it tells you exactly what it does.

Just Joined!
    my sould card is on board my intel 810c motherboard so is my display.. so i built into my kernel all the intel option i could find.. ( not blindly ofcourse.. there was an option for enabling intel audio..) however just to be safer side.. i did install microsoft sound support and a few other generic options.. is that causing a conflict..

also tht now i have compiled my kernel without support for modular sound so is there a way to add a sound module support to it..
    or do i have to recompile..

and ofcourse using the same source files can i recompile again (.. stupid question i know.. but since there is a .config flie in src directory.. would it ask me for settings or would it just use that)..

Linux Engineer
    You can just run the config again and it will open your previous settings if you saved them.
    Code:
    cat /proc/pci | grep audio
    That will show your exact sound card model. Then find that and enable it in your kernel.