Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i want tocreate vpn between linux server and win client over lan using lan card plz help......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vpn

hello,
    i want tocreate vpn between linux server and win client over lan using lan card plz help...

Linux Engineer
    Use ssh or vnc.

Linux Enthusiast
    vpn implies using something like freeswan (that has been integrated into the 2.5.x kernel, and has patches for the 2.4.20 kernel)
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux User

howto

Good vpn howto see www.tldp.org - browse the howtos and you'll see it. A bit long but very good!
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    Vpn implies that you want a secure connection over the internet between 2 sites. You can tunnel your data through ssh which would be a vpn. Though I think he just wants to be able to access his linux box from his windows box which I would use ssh or vnc for.

Linux Enthusiast
    I thought a virtual private network implied you wanted to access servers on an internal network through an external interface through a secure connection. For instance, my home computer being an external client, and a server at work that does user authentication as the server on the internal network. It would have absolutely no external network connection. The only way in would be through one of the other servers that is on the internet. I can set up freeswan to use that server that is on the internet for it's authentication (for lack of a better word). That way I can map that network over to a private network of my own (192.168.10.0 let's say). So I can rdesktop 192.168.10.5 (the internal server) and have it show up You could do it with ssh too, but then you would have to refer to it as the server IP address with a nonstandard port number, right? I am not up on all of SSHs features I don't think.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Engineer
    What you gave is just one example of how a vpn can be used. Anytime to you connect 2 sites securely(using tunnels and encryption) over public telecommunications would be considered a vpn. Such as having remote users dial into a nas and using vpn client software for a remote desktop. You can use ssh to create a tunnel and then use pppd to send tcp/ip data over it between 2 linux routers. There is a howto for that floating around somewhere. You can also use stunnel if you don't want to use ssh, will work the same way.