Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Slackintosh 11.0 (PowerPC port of Slackware). When I start it, it is in text mode. How do I start KDE? Or any other window manager... Furthermore, how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How do I start KDE?

I just installed Slackintosh 11.0 (PowerPC port of Slackware). When I start it, it is in text mode. How do I start KDE? Or any other window manager...

Furthermore, how do I get it to start up by default every time the system boots?

Thanks

Furthermore, how do I get it to start up by default every time the system boots?
    Good question

I just installed Slackintosh 11.0 (PowerPC port of Slackware). When I start it, it is in text mode. How do I start KDE? Or any other window manager...
    I type 'telinit 4', but others like 'startx'.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    Okay, I got the message that it is trying to start the X11 session manager. How long is it suposed to take? I know this is not a slow computer...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How long took it?

I dunno much about Slackintosh, but it should not take very long... even on older computers.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Just Joined!
    It was taking forever, so I gave up and tried to use startx. Then the screen went black, then back to the console and gave me the error "no screen" and "no driver".

you have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and set correct Resolution/Refresh rates. i dont know about any command utility that automates this process.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Question What about xorg?

OK, got KDE started. But how to I change the resolution in xorg.conf? I need much better than it currently is. It seems like 640 x 480. I need something like 2048 x 1536, or at least 1600 x 1200. Also, I need the refresh rate to be like 85 Hz. Can anyone Describe to me how to edit the file so that I can achieve this?

Thanks

open /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in your favorite editor ( nano. pico or vi ).
    add new Modes in Mode lines and set Correct/Supported Refresh rates ( HorizSync and VertRefresh ) under Monitor Section.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First