Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am installing a distrobution that i am pretty sure is based off of debian or solaris. here is the link to some info on it: DistroWatch.com: RAYS LX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help taking VERY long time to install

hi i am installing a distrobution that i am pretty sure is based off of debian or solaris.
    here is the link to some info on it:
    DistroWatch.com: RAYS LX
    i'd like to say before i begin, i am really new to linux. all i know if a few commands in the terminal. i know nothing about filesystems or the kernel.
    okay so here's my problem: this distrobution has a very nice gui installation wizard. so i followed through it happily then it started to install. it said "formatting file system" and showed a progress bar at what looks like 15% complete. it still says that 2 and a half days later. it has not moved. do some sorts of linux take very long to install the file system? what should i do?
    here are some specs of my computer:
    pentium 4
    500 and something MB of ram
    70GB hd
    x86

thanks for helping, much appreciated.

-jim

Hi and Welcome !

it still says that 2 and a half days later.
    Thats a too much time. Installation should not take more than one hour. There could be a lot of reasons. First of all, reburn .iso image at lowest possible speed.
    Is there any other OS installed in HardDisk? Scan Hard Disk with Disk Utility provided your Hard Disk Manufacturer.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thank you. i am welcomed. ( '.')b
    reburning the disks now. i currently have nothing on the hard disk. i deleted all of the past partitions. the computer is it working shape. i will post the status after i try it again with the newly burned installation disks.

Just Joined!
    hi again. the installation is still doing the same as the last. any other ideas?

Verify MD5SUM of downloaded .iso image. Check here and follow instructions ( WinMD5Sum ). Its for Ubuntu but instructions are same for all Linux Distributions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First