Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to Linux, so I was a clueless when my DamnSmallLinux installation failed. I downloaded the .iso from their website: dsl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem booting kernel in DSL.

I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to Linux, so I was a clueless when my DamnSmallLinux installation failed. I downloaded the .iso from their website: dsl and I downloaded the file "dsl-3.4.1.iso". I then burnt this file onto a CD-R. Now the computer I am installing DSL onto is a PIII 866mhz with 256mb of RAM, it has a floppy drive, x6 CD Rom drive, as well as a 1.4Gb Harddrive. The HD is freshly formatted so there is no opperating system installed. It uses the intel D815EEA motherboard motherboard web page, with the intel 815E chipset that has onboard graphics. I set my Bios to boot from the CD-Rom drive, and sure enough... it boots the DSL main screen. From there, it asks me to press enter to continue with DSL, or I can press F2 or F3 for more options. I press enter and this is what happends...

You passed an undifined mode number.
    Press <Return> to see video modes available, <Space> to continue or wait 30 seconds.

(I press enter)

Video adapter: VESA VGA
    Mode: COLSxROWS:
    0 0f00 80x25
    1 0f01 80x50
    2 0f02 80x43
    3 0f03 80x28
    4 0f05 80x30
    5 0f06 80x34
    6 0f07 80x60

Enter mode number or 'scan':

(I type in 'scan')

Video adapter: VESA VGA
    Mode: COLSxROWS:
    0 0f00 80x25
    1 0f01 80x50
    2 0f02 80x43
    3 0f03 80x28
    4 0f05 80x30
    5 0f06 80x34
    6 0f07 80x60
    7 0100 40x25
    8 0120 132x25
    9 0121 132x43
    a 0122 132x50
    b 0123 132x60

Enter mode number or 'scan':

(I type in 'scan')
    (The same screen reappears)
    (So this time, I type '0' just to see what happends)

Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the Kernel.

(The computer always frezes here, no matter how or when I)
    (get to this part... If the screen ever reads 'booting the Kernel',)
    (the computer will always hang until I reboot/shutdown the system.)

I then press F3 at the DSL option screen and I chose 'failsafe boot' which is supposed to boot DSL with minimal hardware detection or driver detection to ensure success. But no matter what I do, my computer will always freeze when it reads 'booting the Kernel'. I left my computer on for 45 minutes at this screen, does it need more time? Or is there a problem? If anybody has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello 21Rouge and welcome.
    Try using some of the options lit on the f2-f3 buttons, look for anything that might disable probing, maybe even disable apic too, see if you can get any further.
    The Intel 815E is supported under the Linux Kernel, so that really shouldn't be a problem. But you never know. Please post back and let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Mike for the quick reply. I actually managed to solve the problem and got DSL up and running But it was not a software problem or anything that someone else could have diagnosed, it ended up being a hardware problem. I realised something was wrong when after playing around in the BIOS a bit, I changed the "quick boot" option to "disabled", this would make the BIOS do certain checks that it did not previously. Then when I rebooted the computer, instead of displaying 256mb of RAM, the bios started counting up from 0 and got stuck at 20mb... I decided to move my 256mb stick of ram into a different slot. After rebooting, the RAM check whent from 0 to 256mb, without pausing at 20. I then tried booting linux and.... success! DSL did give me the same message about the "undifined mode number", but I continued anyway and went right past the booting kernel screen without a hitch . I
    now have DSL installed onto my hard drive as the sole operating system. Thanks for you reply none the less. Now I'm going to go hunting for other small linux distros that might fit on the hard drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close