Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm not sure if this is the correct spot... if not, I apologize and will move it as soon as I find out... On with the post! I am looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Solaris Install

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot... if not, I apologize and will move it as soon as I find out... On with the post!

I am looking to install Solaris by Sun Microsystems onto my Windows XP machine. All i have is a 40 gig hd which has only been used for the Win XP. Is there a way to partition off the ammount of HD space needed to install Solaris or will I need to completely go from the ground up? Fresh install of XP and Solaris? Thank!

Widj

oz
    forum.guy
    No you shouldn't need to start from scratch.

You could try using the Parted Magic LiveCD to shrink your WinXP partition to make room for Solaris.

The liveCD is a small download and burn to CD, and it's quite easy to use as it's a clone of Partition Magic (for Windows). They provide good docs for using it on their website, too.

Edit: Here is a HowTo that might help with the dualboot issue:

Multi-booting Solaris and other operating systems
    Last edited by oz; 08-27-2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: added dualboot URL
    oz

Just Joined!
    Awsome! Thanks for the info. I was able to shrink my XP partition and install the Solaris 10. One question I have is this; I went thru the install without problem. Then it came to the portion where it should have asked if I was installing it on a network or not (I'm using a nice guide I found on the net with pretty pics and everything ) It didn't.... it just skipped to asking me for a host name for the pc I was isntalling it on. Is this because it didn't recognize my having a nic installed? Is it possible I have the wrong type of install discs? (They are the free ones I d/l'd from Sun) I've tried installing it 3 times using dif options to see if I could get it to bring up the window asking for the network.... Here is a link to a pic of the window I am talking about.

How to Install Solaris 10

It then skips all the steps associated with that and takes me to this window.

How to Install Solaris 10

It then skips a few more of the networking steps and then puts me at the window where I chose time zones and such.

Any ideas? Thanks again for the help, it's much apreciated!

Me!~

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close