Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan I have very high praises for BLAG. It has all the multimedia apps you want with a limited amount of frills. It's based of Fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I have very high praises for BLAG. It has all the multimedia apps you want with a limited amount of frills. It's based of Fedora Core 7, so community help will be easily available. Through the Yum package manager, you can uninstall whatever else you don't want. Check it out...

BLAG
    I checked out the website, and Blag seems to be the opposite of what I want. To quote their website:

blag is an operating system. blag has a suite of graphics, internet, audio, video, office, and peer to peer file sharing applications. you can replace a windoz installation with blag. if you would like to install and run blag, download and burn it to cd.

I don't want all that, I'm just looking for the bare minimum, as I stated above. Thank you for the suggestion though.

oz
    forum.guy
    After suggesting Gentoo above, I should add that if you'll experiment a little you'll find that some of the minimal installs of systems such as Arch, Crux, Debian, and Gentoo are quite different in size.

If I remember correctly, Arch and Crux have the smallest base installs but Crux, like Gentoo, is installed from source rather than binary, so you will have some long compile times. It's not too bad if you stick with the base install only, though. Just don't expect to have Crux or Gentoo up and running in 30 to 60 minutes, like with most distros. It takes me several hours to get the Gentoo base installed.

The main thing is to have fun with Linux!
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by pjb515 View Post
    I don't want all that, I'm just looking for the bare minimum, as I stated above. Thank you for the suggestion though.
    And as as I stated above, you can take away what you don't want. Audio/Video apps in BLAG are already set and working. With a minimal distro, you'll have to jump through a few difficult hoops to get those operational to your expectations.

If you were an experienced user, I'd say go with a minimal install of Slackware or Crux, but your not. For new users, it's far easier to take away what you don't want than to start from scratch and build up what you do want. But hey... if you feel up to it go with Crux.

LINK
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I was just thinking maybe I should rephrase the question. I notice that all the distros are a full cd. The gentoo minimal that I downloaded was a mere 57 megs, even after I extracted all from the zip. That's what I'm looking for. I haven't installed it yet, but I will, probably tonight (I can't have my computer down too long today).
    Any others like that?

PS-I downloaded the pclinuxos (698 megs) in about 8 minutes. I just had to mention it cuz I just got the speed increase option from comcast, for a mere 10 bucks extra per month. Get it if you can. I @$#^ing LOVE IT!

If you're going minimal, don't install Gnome or KDE. Go with a minimal windows manager like IceWM or Fluxbox. Both are very lightweight and very fast.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    The gentoo minimal that I downloaded was a mere 57 megs, even after I extracted all from the zip. That's what I'm looking for
    Yes, the Arch ftp installer iso file is only 28.4 MB:

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist...o/2007.08/i686

You use it to install only what you need by ftp from the servers.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    ZENWALK IS ONE OF THE SMALLIST DISTROS I HAVE EVER USED THE FULL INSTALL IS 447 MB www.zenwalk.org - Ever tried zen computing? ITS USED TO BE CALLED MINISLAX
    Oxtail75
    I Live In a Linux household the only windows i own are the ones u look out of

Arch with Gnome (Desktop)
    Arch with fluxbox (Laptop)
    FreeBSD 6 (Server)
    CENTOS 5 (the other 4 PCS)
    Linux user number 447395

Just Joined!
    You guys are gonna kill me.
    I installed the gentoo minimum, and discovered it has no gui as far as I can tell. Sorry, if I knew that there were distros without a gui I would have mentioned that right away. So I gotta have a gui, I'm not into Linux enough to go all command line...

Yes, I come from the Windows world.

oz
    forum.guy
    You guys are gonna kill me.
    I installed the gentoo minimum, and discovered it has no gui as far as I can tell. Sorry, if I knew that there were distros without a gui I would have mentioned that right away. So I gotta have a gui, I'm not into Linux enough to go all command line...

Yes, I come from the Windows world.
    With distros like Gentoo, you install only the base-system, then you start adding anything you want. That's how it can remain a minimal distro. Arch, Crux, and Debian work the same way.

Add xorg to your Gentoo system and you'll have your GUI. However, you might find that you are still missing some things you want. If that's the case, you add them.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by pjb515
    I installed the gentoo minimum, and discovered it has no gui as far as I can tell. Sorry, if I knew that there were distros without a gui I would have mentioned that right away.
    Based on what it appears you now want, I'd suggest taking a look at Damn Small Linux. It's quite small (thus the name) and I believe it's pretty full featured.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2