Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to linux. I normally build PCs for people, but I have been asked to build a machine that is beyond Microsoft's capabilities. It needs to control his ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Need some linux help

Hi, I'm new to linux. I normally build PCs for people, but I have been asked to build a machine that is beyond Microsoft's capabilities. It needs to control his Home Theatre, Security System and the Cameras to go with it, and it also needs to be an HD Tivo/DVR. I have heard about Linux literally automatically making you a cup of coffee in the morning. Also, is Xandros that flavor that will suit these needs? And are there already applications out there that can perform these tasks.

I am a little worried about driver compatibilities. I will need to run a quad-core CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad. And other various devices such as an HD-Tuner Card, a 1Gb Video Card, and a 7.1 Hi-Def Surround Sound Card (preferably with optical out).

I am sure Linux can do this without any lag or crashes, but will it be user-friendly?

My main question is will this work smoothly?

P.S. - Would Redhat or Fedora be better for this? The case I will be using has a 7" touchscreen LCD on the front.
    Last edited by firebirdpc; 09-12-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Adding

Linux Engineer
    Linux can do this just fine, especially with that hardware. As far as drivers, for the most part you won't have much issues, just do a little googling before making the actual purchase to find out the specifics. The biggest issues I forsee is the touchscreen and the hd tuner card. These might not be an issue though, I'm just not familiar with that hardware.