Find the answer to your Linux question:
For a while now I've had an Altos 986T machine, and finally figured most of it out. A lot of the commands are different but they're easy enough to figure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

My new Xenix project!!

For a while now I've had an Altos 986T machine, and finally figured most of it out. A lot of the commands are different but they're easy enough to figure out. Anyway, the project is to get an Atari ST, 800XL, Tandy 1000SL, C64 (maybe a C128 and Vic 20) and whatever else I can jack into it. Then, figure out some kind of code to make all the machines (with peripherals attached) be accessible from the net, like a BBS, maybe. It's a slow moving project, cause I am a student also. But so far I've been able to log in as root (there was no root password in there, if you can believe it) from so far three machines successfully. So I am still in the hardware testing phase.

I know I haven't posted a lot, but life gets in the way and projects go to the wayside.

The Altos is really neat. It used to belong to a financial collections company back in 1988. There are LOTS of old collections letters, and boy are they mean sounding!

I found a bunch of commands that work, but the list is only partially complete. I haven't found any reference to adding or deleting users, mainly. I found a lot of cheap books for sale, and will probably get a few just to get the basics down.

And this is probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get some hardware for this thing? Like a floppy drive, tape drive and maybe even a parts machine? See I got this from a guy who kept it in a shed,and here in El Paso everything gets sand all in it. I got out almost all of it but the fdd and tape drive are toast.

Nathan

It's been a while, but I managed to use an Atari ST and Toshiba laptop to log in as a user to this machine. There are lots of neat programs written to manipulate the files on there. I'm still looking for the ethernet board if anyone has any leads on where to get one.

Nathan