Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running the 2.6.22 kernel with alsa. My sound card is a sis7012. Sound comes through fine when I play a movie with mplayer. Sound fails to come through ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound from mplayer, not from cd

I am running the 2.6.22 kernel with alsa. My sound card is a sis7012. Sound comes through fine when I play a movie with mplayer. Sound fails to come through from my cd with any application, for example, with the dcd command line player. dcd thinks that it's playing the cd, but no sound. I already used alsaconf to maximize the cd volume, but it fails to solve my problem.

This problem did not exist using the 2.4 kernel, where I used the i810 sound module. In that case, dcd or any other app could readily play a cd.

Distro: Lunar

I could be really off here, cause my PC is really old already, but for me there is a small cable that connects the sound card directly to the CDROM drive, if this isn't plugged in then I would get the same as you, Movies will play, MP3's will play, but nothing from the CDROM.

I guess also before going inside the box to see if the cable is missing, I should ask, do CD's play in windows ok? (if so leave the lid on your box, cause it can't be the cable causing the problem!)

Just Joined!

You're right

Quote Originally Posted by adwilson99 View Post
    I could be really off here, cause my PC is really old already, but for me there is a small cable that connects the sound card directly to the CDROM drive, if this isn't plugged in then I would get the same as you, Movies will play, MP3's will play, but nothing from the CDROM.

I guess also before going inside the box to see if the cable is missing, I should ask, do CD's play in windows ok? (if so leave the lid on your box, cause it can't be the cable causing the problem!)
    You're right that it's this cable issue; it's missing on most modern PCs, I understand. You have to go for "digital" audio. I discovered that there is a way to do this by un-muting some muted sound streams via alsamixer. The problem no longer exists, though like most, I must have my sound processed through my cpu.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close