Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to these forums and Linux in general. I just got a back-to-school laptop from HP. After less then a week with Vista, I am fed up. With ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Greetings, Installation issue

Hi, I'm new to these forums and Linux in general. I just got a back-to-school laptop from HP. After less then a week with Vista, I am fed up. With much difficulty, I have been able to dislodge Vista and reformat the primary partition. I have since downloaded freespire, burned the ISO image, and booted from it. After selecting Install from the menu, it runs through the initializing status bar, and after a while, nothing but a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the corner. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi and Welcome !

Which Graphics Card do you have? Post your Machine's specs here. Boot up from LiveCD, open Terminal/Konsole and execute fdisk -l command. Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile
    Nvdia GeForce 8400M
    4 Gig DDR2
    120 Gig 7200 RPM SATA

I can run it in VGA mode from the disk. But anything else, it runs through the status bar a few times, then freezes at a blank command line screen.

Its a Graphics Card problem only. Check if there is any Text Install option. Text Installer uses minimal Graphics. Its easy to fix Graphics problem after installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First