Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plan on learning and using Linux for the first time very soon. I have played with a few "live" distros before, but nothing very serious. I've been researching like ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Frugalware to Begin My Linux Expierience?

I plan on learning and using Linux for the first time very soon. I have played with a few "live" distros before, but nothing very serious. I've been researching like crazy, and I think I've settled on Frugalware as the distro for me to start out with. Other distros that I'm attracted to are Slackware, Arch, and Zenwalk.

Is anyone here familiar with Frugalware, and if so, would you recommend it for me to begin my Linux experience?

The reason I've chosen it is because it appears to be easy enough for an experienced computer user to install and manage with a bit of reading, while at the same time offering a "real" Linux experience, with an opportunity to personalize it and really get to what's going on underneath so to speak. I just like everything I've read about, and it seems to fit what I'm looking for in a distro.

I need something I can get up and running relatively quickly, and be truly usable ASAP. As I'm using it for my daily computing activities, I will be studying Linux at the same time; learning commands, deeper configuration and customization, and whatever else.

I've got a great book, access to online documentation, and great forums such as this one to help me along, so I'm not really worried about having to much trouble; nothing that can't be resolved with some help if need be.

I've absolutely had it with M$ Windows in every imaginable way, and I would like to get away from it as quickly and as thoroughly as possible!

oz
    forum.guy
    Other distros that I'm attracted to are Slackware, Arch, and Zenwalk.

Is anyone here familiar with Frugalware, and if so, would you recommend it for me to begin my Linux experience?
    I think of all those you mentioned, Frugalware might be the easiest for a new user. Of course, every user is different and the usual might not apply.

The best way to approach Linux is to be experimental and have fun with it.

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Fuuny! I was just going to PM you to ask you if you could comment on this thread!

Yeah, Frugalware looks great for what I'm looking for, and as soon as I get my new notebook I can give it a try, and then I'll report back with how it's going.

Thanks again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close