Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Freespire on my computer, which I believe is based on Linspire. I am completely new to Linux systems, i'm having lots of troubles navigating my way around ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Executing files, compiling make files. Need lots of help!

I just installed Freespire on my computer, which I believe is based on Linspire. I am completely new to Linux systems, i'm having lots of troubles navigating my way around the shell.
    I downloaded some 3D modelling software, i decompressed it to my desktop. It showed an executable, but when I double click on it, the file doesn't run.
    I checked the readme files and it says to compile the makefile. I've tried all sorts of variations of the 'make' command, but am having no luck, it's telling me that there's "no rule to make target '/usr/ayam' . stop. " and "cannot create directory" when I try different commands. I am doing this by opening the folder where the makefile is, and selecting "tools, execute shell command"
    Can anyone tell me how I can make this work, or direct me to something that will help me understand how to use the shell properly?
    Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    What are you trying to install? Some things may need to be configured before compiling the sources. Try running ./configure first:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install