Find the answer to your Linux question:
root@Lisa-FS:~# sudo sh /home/llowery/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run Verifying archive integrity... OK Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 100.14.19......................................... .................................................. ................... root@Lisa-FS:~# This doesn't work because my xserver is running so when i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NVIDIA driver install issue no luck searching for solutions!

root@Lisa-FS:~# sudo sh /home/llowery/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 100.14.19......................................... .................................................. ...................
    root@Lisa-FS:~#

This doesn't work because my xserver is running so when i ctrl+alt+backspace to stop x and then type in the command it tells me sh can't open /home/llowery/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

what do I do?

I also cant cd /home/llowery/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run says its not a directory

You just need
    Code:
    cd /home/llowery/Desktop
    to get to your directory. The "NVID ..." part is a file so the system is telling you it is not a directory.
    When in your desktop directory try[CODE]sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run -q[CODE]
    Pete

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by peteh View Post
    You just need
    Code:
    cd /home/llowery/Desktop
    to get to your directory. The "NVID ..." part is a file so the system is telling you it is not a directory.
    lol i just figured that out just now but when i ran the package it is saying it has to compile a kernel to match my kernel and i need to download kernel source or something

I've not used your distro but if you check the software repository you should find the kernel source. It's quite a big download but you need it to complete the task. You'll also need gcc 4.x so nvidia can run the compile.
    Pete

Just Joined!
    I've not used your distro but if you check the software repository you should find the kernel source. It's quite a big download but you need it to complete the task. You'll also need gcc 4.x so nvidia can run the compile.
    2.6.20-16-lowlatency

Thats my kernel how do i download what you are talking about?

when i look in base system restricted in synaptic i see 2.6.20.15.14 as latest with nothing on the installed part of the menu

You need the kernel-source for your kernel version. Which package manager do you use? Have you updated the kernel? Your package manager should have the source to match your kernel - it may even be on your linspire dvd.
    I think linspire is based on ubuntu and ubuntu uses synaptic. Search synaptic for "kernel-source".
    With any luck, that will work but if not let's hope someone who knows more about ubuntu or linspire can point you in the right direction.
    Pete

Just Joined!
    You need the kernel-source for your kernel version. Which package manager do you use? Have you updated the kernel? Your package manager should have the source to match your kernel - it may even be on your linspire dvd.
    I think linspire is based on ubuntu and ubuntu uses synaptic. Search synaptic for "kernel-source".
    With any luck, that will work but if not let's hope someone who knows more about ubuntu or linspire can point you in the right direction.
    i found it

Now after it installs i find out if this solves the problem

I've just noticed we joined about the same time and have a similar number of posts. I was thinking of challenging you to a race to become a "newbie" but I don't think that's in the spirit of the forum!
    Anyway, I'm glad I was able to help.
    Pete