Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Ok, thank you, ozar, that whent quick... Is it open source? Or does it cost? Is it possible to change the partitions anytime, or is it advisable/favorable to do it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Ok, thank you, ozar, that whent quick...
    Is it open source? Or does it cost?

Is it possible to change the partitions anytime, or is it advisable/favorable to do it at the very beginning of a new installation of a OS?

Well, I will have a look into that link you gave me.

(I supose it is Linux compatible. And that is why you recommend it.)
    Why arent these sort of programms not standart on the distributions? Would be useful for all.

Thanks.

Alexander

Parted Magic

Yes, Gparted is great piece of software, but I can tell some details for sure:
    1. It works basically as a program for preparation, to create empty spaces for installation processes.
    2. I still has many bugs: it apparently cannot move large partitions, I never succeeded to shrink ext3 partitions (trials on multiple PCs)

It probably works O.K with Windows partitions. I just wrote it down to see some things clear. The developer is, what a surprise, a Catholic monk! He has no time to work on it, and he's asking for help. Still, this is the only partitioner for Linux I know.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Banned
    Hi,
    I had a quick look at the website of Parted Magic: Looks good.

Does it have to be a LifeCD, or could it work by direct download as programm installed?

I guess, one would have to either burn a CD, or buy one ready made, somewhere.

You should download the liveCD and burn it on a CD. This is the easiest way. Afterwards, with the booted up CD you can even create a bootable USB for Parted Magic.
    Linux Usert#430188

Banned
    Thank you very much, minthaka, for your very interesting and informative reply/post.

It is a nice story. I like it.

Well, I might buy the LifeCD, as it might help me to do what I would like to do.

Thank you again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordshooter View Post
    Does it have to be a LifeCD, or could it work by direct download as programm installed?
    You'll run into fewer problems with the LiveCD version, in my opinion. It's a very small download (about 32 MB), so it's pretty quick to download and burn to CD.
    oz

Well, it's only 35MBs of space! Don't be afraid to download it and burn with K3b. Just use the option Burn CD from an ISO image. BTW, you can donate some money to help them develop the software
    You're always welcome!
    Linux Usert#430188

Banned
    Yes, I probably will donate a little money for that project.

I could try to burn a CD: I think my laptop offers this possibility, but I never tryed.
    I would have to get a few blanc, burnable CD..., and then just do it. One time, is the very first time...

Question:
    Can I use my computer, the way it is now partitioned, without having to make worries? And just resize it anytime later, as soon as I come arount to burn the Life CD, and change the partitiones?

Further question:
    Are there SSDs (Solid State Disks) also available in 3.5 format, for computers (not laptops)? If I allready have two HDDs with 500 GB each, would it make sense, to have a aditional SSD inside of the pc ? (Advantage for multitasking, etc.?)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordshooter View Post
    Yes, I probably will donate a little money for that project.

I could try to burn a CD: I think my laptop offers this possibility, but I never tryed.
    I would have to get a few blanc, burnable CD..., and then just do it. One time, is the very first time...

Question:
    Can I use my computer, the way it is now partitioned, without having to make worries? And just resize it anytime later, as soon as I come arount to burn the Life CD, and change the partitiones?

Further question:
    Are there SSDs (Solid State Disks) also available in 3.5 format, for computers (not laptops)? If I allready have two HDDs with 500 GB each, would it make sense, to have a aditional SSD inside of the pc ? (Advantage for multitasking, etc.?)
    1. Well, the partition table you have now will fit your needs
    2. I have 80 GB of HDD, and that is sufficient for me. Huge amount of space are required only when you're creating or transcoding DVDs. If you already have 1 TB of storage place you could store cca. 240 DVDs on it. Why would you have more space?
    Linux Usert#430188

Banned

SSDs vesus HDDs: A cost benefit calculation, etc.

Hi there,

the question would not be about space, in the pc (2x 500GB), but about using the advantages of how a SSD functions:

If it has significant better qualities for multitasking, than the issue would be, to use a SSD instead of a HDD for certain multitasking work.

I think, to be able to answer this question, one would have to be quite familiar with all the qualities, advantages and disadvantages of a SDD.

- But sure: These sort of questions might come in the near future, and might be widely discussed.

To make a long story short: The general question is: How can we benefit, at this state of developement, from the Solid State Disk?

Does it pay to allready buy them, and use them? And where can one benefit more from them than form the HDDs? In which cases is it worth considering such changes, and doing such steps, and investing the money for what it costs?

It is just a cost-benefit calculation about SSD versus HDD.

I guess you all got the idea, in which direction my thoughts and questions are going. So it is not a matter about storage size, but a matter of the devise itself: Which one works better, in which case, and for which cause, for which stile of working (for example multitasking, but for better multitasking, we can also use a quad core processor, etc., etc.).

So again: Would it make sense to have both in a pc: HDDs, as well as SSDs? -Just to be able to switch to the one or other device, acording to the way one wants to work, and acording to the jobs one wants to do.

Thank you, for your attention.

Alexander

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast