Find the answer to your Linux question:
Installing my printer to a Linux OS: To the SimplyMEPIS OS. - With great success. For months and weeks I was worried about how to be able to install my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Installing my printer to the SimplyMEPIS OS

Installing my printer to a Linux OS: To the SimplyMEPIS OS. - With great success.

For months and weeks I was worried about how to be able to install my printer, so that it will work together with my Linux operation system.

I prepared long ago, looking for and finding a driver that should possibly work.

My printer is a „Lexmark E350d“.

My operation system is „SimplyMEPIS“/Linux.

At that time, I did not find a specific driver for my Linux-distribution.
    But as I knew that it is based on „Debian“, I went from there, and found one that suits for „Debian“/Linux.
    I then found such a one on the website of the printer manufacturer, for downloading.

About a hour ago, I downloaded it...

Before doing that, though, I checked again the „Add Printer Wizard“ of the default "KDE Print" from my „K Menue“ (Applications, tasks, and desktop sessions).
    Again, I did not find my printer model listed under the Lexmark printers.

So, as I said, I downloaded the „Debian“/Linux driver, but somehow, the „Add Printer Wizard“ could not find it.

So I said: „So what!“..., and whent back to the list of all the Lexmark models listed in that „Add Printer Wizard“ and clicked on a other model than mine, but the only one, with a similar name:
    I clicked on the Lexmark „E210“, „just for the fun of it...“, and without having much expectaions and much hope: I mean: It seems to be something quite different, having „E350d“, or having „E210“, specially with printers.

After one or two further clicks (I don't want do it again, or else I mitght mess it up...), well after one or two further clicks, I was invited by the „Wizard“ to print a test page...: Oh, I had forgotten to turn the printer on..., so I did that. (The „print a test page settings“ where still active, so I could leave it that way.)

....My printer was firing up/loading, and it was looking surprisingly good, because the lights went on, and the printer seemed to be working and starting up, and sounded like it was going to print...: And it did!: It printed a test page, nice and clean, titled „MEPIS Printer Test Page“. - Now what more can you do, than just be happy, very happy. - That's it, and now we can move on to the next job... -What a lucky strike!

Banned

Problems...

Hello again.

You remember me mentioning getting that test page: It even gave the correct Printer name, under „Product“, on the separate information area on the page, the so called „Interpreter Information“.
    And I believe, that the version number, as well as the serial number are correct. It also said: „PostScript: Level 3.“

The big two sentences of information on that page are:
    „MEPIS Printer Test Page“
    and:
    „Printed Using CUPS v1.x.x“.

...but...today...:

Here some really bad follow up news about my printer, after receiving that sensational test page, yesterday:

Thinking yesterday, I had the one and only prove and evidence for a worrieless future in printing, I was trusting and being happy too early:

I left the printer that way, after the nice test page, as I thought, it would from now on allways do the same fine job. But I was way wrong.
    I wanted to print a open office file, and this is what hapend:

Each time, I try to print, or try to reset the „Add Printer Wizzard“, after, the printer does a nonstop printer job, writing the following information on the first page, and then only prints one single top line with letters ans symbols, on each page.

$PJL JOB START
    $PJL RESOLUTION = 600
    $PJL COPIES = 1
    $PJL PAGE LETTER AUTO
    $PJL BITMAP START

It never stops printing, so I only feed the printer with a few pages, and try to end the job and turn off the printer, but with no success.
    By putting in more paper, it only continues its nonstop printing (only one line per page), and this gets really annoying and frustrating.

So, this is how I am proceeding:
    I went back to the website of the printer manufacturer, looking again at the drivers that he offers, which is:

1.)
    PPD-Files-LMABK.tar.Z
    Lexmark PPD for CUPS & OpenOffice printing
    Version 1.0

2.)
    print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.deb
    Driver for Debian and Linspire Linux Systems
    Version 5.3.3

3.)
    print-drivers-linux-glibc2-x86.deb

Print Driver for Debian Gnu/Linux and Linspire Systems
    Version 5.5.1

So I conclude, that the first version „for CUPS & OpenOffice printing“ might be the right one, as it stated on the test page, that the test page was „printed using CUPS“.

Anyway, I decide to give first and second version a try and a chance.

The file information to version 1.) says the following:
    Quote.
    "Lexmark PPD file for use with the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS), OpenOffice, and StarOffice applications on supported Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, and Linspire Linux systems. This postscript support file provides access to advanced printing features available on your Lexmark printer. Unicode encoding. After downloading, use the following procedure to install this package: 1. Login using Administrator priviledges. 2. Expand the file using gunzip and tar commands. 3. Run the install script."""
    As well as:

Quote:

„Products: Lexmark E350d, Lexmark E352dn.“
    And:
    „Data Stream: PostScript Level 3.“

Which again makes the version 1.) out of the three versions more likely to be the right one, as on the test page it is also mentioned: „PostScript: Level3“.

So, version 1.) is also mentioning „CUPS“, as well as „PostScript Level 3“.

The file information to version 2.) says the following:
    Quote:
    „ Lexmark Print Driver for Debian/GNU 3.0 Linux, Debian/GNU 3.1 Linux and Linspire Five O Systems. Once downloaded, install the package file with Debian's package manager (deb).“
    As well as:
    Quote:
    „ Products: ..., ..., ..., etc., ...., Lexmark E120n, Lexmark E220, Lexmark E230, Lexmark E232, Lexmark E234, Lexmark E234n, Lexmark E238, Lexmark E240, Lexmark E240n, Lexmark E250d, Lexmark E250dn, Lexmark E320, Lexmark E321, Lexmark E322, Lexmark E323, Lexmark E323n, Lexmark E330, Lexmark E332n, Lexmark E340, Lexmark E342n, Lexmark E350d, Lexmark E352dn, Lexmark E450dn, Lexmark T420, etc., ..., etc.

As well as:
    Quote:
    „Data Stream: PCL emulation, PostScript.“

Conclusion:
    Both of thes drivers seem to be able to „fit“ and work, but vesion 1.) seems to be the one more likely to „fit“ and work better.

Anyway, I shall try with both versions:

Problems:
    To unzip and install Version 1.) it requires:
    Quote:
    „Expand the file using gunzip and tar commands. 3. Run the install script.“

But:
    Trying to open up this downloaded file (driver version 1.)) shows a empty file, and shows a error message.
    And:
    It was very difficult and very timeconsuming, to find „gunzip“ and „tar commands“ for donwnloading, and it is not quite sure, if it will work alright.
    I mean; I will have to be able to install the zippers, and use those zippers to expand/unzipp/open those drivers, so that those drivers can be installed for my printer.
    - But if the file does not work properly, there is not much sense in getting gunzip and tar command.
    - So I might just give it up, with trying with vesion 1.).

-------------------------

To unzip and install version 2.) it requires:
    Quote:
    „Once downloaded, install the package file with Debian's package manager (deb).“

The downloaded file states:
    Quote:

Lexmark Print Drivers is installed.

You must run the following script to complete the installation.

# /usr/local/lexmark/setup.lexprint

-- Updating symbolic links

RESULT=0

Overall conclusion:

Driver version 2.) does nevertheless seem to be the practicable solution, as I can download it correctly without getting any error message.
    And last but not least: It seemed to have a good influence, during my first attempt, when I received a good test page.

To install the package file, I will have to find and download „Debian package manager“.

Obviously, the print driver is installed. but I will have to write the script into Debian package manager, or something....

Well here, I got a little confused.

The driver is installed, but requires to have the include script „run“ („you must run the script“) to complete the installation.

Question at this point: What is the difference between the „package file“ and the „script“?

Well, I will close here, and concentrat on version 2.), and see if I can get the printer to work properly.

Thank you, for your attention.

Alexander

Banned

Test page works again...

Hello again,

these are the newest results for my printing:

I receive nice test pages if I proceed in the follwing way:

1)K Menu
    2)Print System
    3)Add Printer Wizard
    4)Introduction/ click „Next“
    5)Backend Selection / select „Local Printer“ / click „Next“
    6)Local Port Selection / select „LPT # 1“: It will automatically write the
    following .... inside the feld: parallel:/dev/lp0
    click „Next“
    7)Printer Model Selection / select Manufacturer „Lexmark“, as well as
    Model „E210“ / click „Other“
    Attention: A window opens: „Select Driver – kaddprinterwizard“:
    You see the empty feld „Location“....:
    click on „Desktop“,
    select the icon with the correct print drivers, from the desktop icons,
    click „OK“, and the window is gone.
    Again, you see the window from before: „Printer Model Selection“...,
    click „Next“
    Printer Test / (click „Settings“, cklick „OK“)
    Printer Test / you receive a error message, but ignore and click „OK“
    Printer Test / click „Test“
    Now you should get a „MEPIS Printer Test Page“, which your correct printer,
    in my case, it is stated: „Product: Lexmark E350d“.

Comments:
    These test pages seem to work, but direct printing of files, is not possible at the moment:
    I receive a error message.

Further:
    The driver is listed in the „Synaptic Package Manager“, but shows no download size (N/A), but is showing all the other information.

So, I will see, how I can continue, and hope that I manage to not only make test pages, but will be able to print directly from files.

Thank you, for your attention,

Alexander

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned

P.s.

Hi there, and thanks a lot for your patience and endurance, for reading all this.

I manage to get nice test pages again, so I am actually back from where I started from.

I understand, that I have to select my printer drivers from my downloads, which I did.
    But somehow, the installation of the drivers are not completed, and I can't figure out, where I have to post the script from the installed drivers.

This is the script I am suposed to "run to complete the installation" (???):

# /usr/local/lexmark/setup.lexprint

-- Updating symbolic links

RESULT=0

Any help, will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks i advance.

Cheers,

Alexander