Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, problem with file permissions (chmod): How can I get rid of the d (denied)? - And does the printer (Drucker) need a x, for execution? total 60 d--------- 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

File Permissions / chmod

Hello,

problem with file permissions (chmod):

How can I get rid of the d (denied)?

- And does the printer (Drucker) need a x, for execution?

total 60
    d--------- 2 alexander users 4096 2006-05-09 09:41 Backups
    drwx------ 4 alexander users 4096 2007-10-25 18:28 Desktop
    drwxr-x--- 3 alexander users 4096 2007-04-25 18:50 Documents
    -rw-r--r-- 1 alexander users 9343 2007-10-24 19:36 Drucker2.odt
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alexander users 4096 2007-10-25 12:58 gdpm-0.0.4
    drwxr-xr-x 8 alexander users 4096 2007-10-24 17:34 Mail
    drwx---r-x 2 alexander users 4096 2004-03-14 10:44 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alexander users 4096 2007-10-24 04:52 New Folder
    drwxr-xr-x 3 alexander users 4096 2004-05-24 13:24 News
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alexander users 4096 2004-03-12 15:33 Pictures
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alexander users 4096 2006-11-08 10:27 public_html
    drwxrwxrwx 2 alexander users 4096 2003-09-03 23:06 Shared
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alexander users 4096 2005-09-04 07:43 Wallpapers

Thank you.

"d" doesn't mean "denied": it means that this is a directory! And Drucker2.odt is an Open Office document, which explains why it is not executable.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Banned
    Thank you dear hazel, I agree with you. I found it, about the directory, just before you wrote to me.

As I was trying to setup my printer, I also installed it once as "Generatic" model under Postscript, and it also did fine test pages, but the main problem stayed the same. I guess, I will have to be able to get the wrights to write into files.

Problem:
    The wrights to have writing access to files, are not activated. How can I activate my writes to write into files?

Reporting of today:

Well today, I have decided to make a dual boot system on my laptop:

1) I have a internal SSD (Solid State Disk, like a flash drive/card) with Linux on it.

2) I just installed the hardware: A external HDD (hard drive disk, which was the one I had before inside of my laptop). I do not have a Windows XP Professional OS, because it was preinstalled with out a CD, at that time. But I do have a Windows 98 CD, wich I will then install onto that HDD, as soon as I have recoverd some data from it (with "O&O RescueBox 4").

3) Further, I attached one of my six monitors to my laptop, and will therefore have a dual monitor system, or how you call it.

4) So, for printing, I will use Windows, till I get my problems with Linux sorted out, and at least one printer installed with Linux. I am workin on that, but it looks, like that it can't be done necessarily within reasonable time.

5) I wan't to also install my hp scanjet 3970 scanner on Linux, but it will be difficult, so at first, I shall install it via the Windows OS (opration system).

6) So this way, I will be able to install all of my of my peripheral devises, such as printers, scanner, keyboard, mouse, display, and camera, etc.

7) Linux, just will take its time, because I am also new to it, and there are not too many drivers around. But at the end, It will run better, nicer, and I will have a lot of more freedom with Linux. So, all worth the painstaking and timeconsuming work, and it is a nice learning curve. I will know a lot more, and will be able to troubleshoot, not only my own computer problems, but also those of others.

As soon as I have built in my last components int my pc, and get it running, I will of course be able to work with that, and use my other monitors as well.

9) Good thing: My experience I won with both: Laptop and pc, was helpful, for working on the one ore the other. Each won profited from won/gained experience by being occupied with the setups to the other.

I can't afford, just been stuck with Linux problems, so I had to handle, use my imagination and knowledge, and use what was available from my hardware and software I have, and do something.
    As I already read a few things and articles about dual boot systems (meaning, having and using two operation system at the same time, for example Windows and Linux) and about dual monitor systems, I know, how it would work in theory. So now, I am doing some practical...., translating ideas into the practice. Putting it into practice. Which looks very nice, and which will will work for sure.

Well, thanks for your attention, and have a great afternoon, evening, and coming good weekend.

Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Lordshooter View Post
    Problem:
    The wrights to have writing access to files, are not activated. How can I activate my writes to write into files?
    If you do a similar listing of each of the subdirectories in your home directory, you will see the access rights for the actual files. The first column for a normal file (i.e. not a special file like a directory ) will contain a "-". The next three columns contain the file-owner's rights and should read "rwx" for a program or "rw-" for a data file. The remaining columns are the corresponding rights for your group and for the rest of the world. If "w" is not present, you do not have write access and will have to change this using chmod u+w filename. You can do this if you are the owner of the files (or if you are working as root). Of course the whole thing can also be done graphically using your file manager: right click, choose properties, then permissions.
    4) So, for printing, I will use Windows, till I get my problems with Linux sorted out, and at least one printer installed with Linux. I am workin on that, but it looks, like that it can't be done necessarily within reasonable time.
    That sounds like a sensible solution to me!
    7) Linux, just will take its time, because I am also new to it, and there are not too many drivers around. But at the end, It will run better, nicer, and I will have a lot of more freedom with Linux. So, all worth the painstaking and timeconsuming work, and it is a nice learning curve. I will know a lot more, and will be able to troubleshoot, not only my own computer problems, but also those of others.
    I think with your attitude you are going to enjoy using Linux. It's a great system for people who like to learn.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Banned
    Thank you, dear Hazel.

I appreciate your help and kind words.

P.S.: I decided, not to use Windows 98. To get things running by updating, and by looking for drivers, is just as time consuming as doing the settings in Linux.

So everything that is fixed and done in Linux, will stay useful for quite a while, and is therefore smarter to do, than fiddling with windows.

Well, better do the both, and see, which one gets things up and running first.

I hope to be able to make a nice silent dual boot system with only SSD.

But I guess, till I can afford another SSD, I won't have to depend on windows anymore, and will be able to ditch/dump it. I hope so, well, we will see.

Even the most silent HDD is too loud for me, and makes the fan run loud and hot (heatsink).

Have a good start of the week. Take care. Computers are only one thing in life, once in a while, when another chunk of work is done, I also appreciate some other nice things, as tasty food and drink, and a hot and relaxing bath.

Alexander