Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am a 75 year old geek wanna be, but alas I am not.....I just installed MEPIS 6.0 on a Toshiba Laptop. It does all I want it to, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printing on a HP OfficeJet 7410 All-In-One

Hi, I am a 75 year old geek wanna be, but alas I am not.....I just installed MEPIS 6.0 on a Toshiba Laptop. It does all I want it to, except print. I have stumbled around various places and things, and still no printing Help!!!!

Banned
    Hello dear Frank.

Nice to hear from a fellow Mepis user.

1) Use your HPLIP printer toolbox.

2.) Use Google (Input: "my printer" and "Mepis", and in a other window: "my printer" and "Linux", then read and select output).

3.) Use "Terminal Program/Shell Konsole" to get information, as well.

4.) At the end of your research work, you are welcome to post your results.

Just for my curiosity: What sort of printer do you have?

- And what have you allready tried, up and till now, to solve the problem?

(At the moment, I rather feel like eating a big plate of spaghetti, than doing troubleshootng. But no spaghetty in the house, and all cupbuards, and the fridge is empty: I will have go shopping tomorrow. Sometimes, I really would only like to care about a nice meal, and forget the rest of the world, for a hour.)

See you.

Alexander

Linux Newbie
    Learning linux at 75? That's impressive and I'll try to help. Take what follows with a grain of salt as I know little of HP printers and less about laptops!

The usual way to install a printer is shown here;
    Install Local Printer

You should be able to install the printer that way BUT there is another option in Mepis 6.5 and maybe (?) also in 6.0. Does "HPLIP Toolbox" exist in the Kmenu System menu? Good sucess has been reported with that utility.

One more suggestion, at the possible risk of pi**ing off the keepers of this forum. If the problem persists you might consider asking at mepislovers.org. They have a printer specific forum nearing 1200 posts. Genuinely nice folks.

edit/ Try "google linux" as your first search term. Looking into this further, that exact model does not show up in kde printing. Try hplip, note Mepis maintains their own version of hplip.
    HPLIP Supported Devices

Keep in mind Mepis 7.0 will be out soon.
    Last edited by googled first; 11-15-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added info
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by googled first View Post
    Learning linux at 75? That's impressive and I'll try to help. Take what follows with a grain of salt as I know little of HP printers and less about laptops!

The usual way to install a printer is shown here;
    Install Local Printer

You should be able to install the printer that way BUT there is another option in Mepis 6.5 and maybe (?) also in 6.0. Does "HPLIP Toolbox" exist in the Kmenu System menu? Good sucess has been reported with that utility.

One more suggestion, at the possible risk of pi**ing off the keepers of this forum. If the problem persists you might consider asking at mepislovers.org. They have a printer specific forum nearing 1200 posts. Genuinely nice folks.

edit/ Try "google linux" as your first search term. Looking into this further, that exact model does not show up in kde printing. Try hplip, note Mepis maintains their own version of hplip.
    HPLIP Supported Devices

Keep in mind Mepis 7.0 will be out soon.
    thank you both for your input, and since I have three other computers working. 1 Debian, 2 XP (one of which I am going to turn into a multi OS 'puter)..I will wait untill I receive the MEPIS 6.5 disk I ordered, and install that, hoping it will be more attuned to my HP DeskJet 7410 all-in-one wireless printer. My debian does all I need it to do, and just playing with others. It's fun, and keeps my mind from becoming mashed potatos.

Just Joined!

writing my photo file to a cdrom in Debian

Seems I mis-spoke...I do have one problem with Debian....mounting and writing my photofiles to a cdrom for backup, and distribution to my family.

I mount the cdrom ( mount /media/cdrom ) and that much works....then it asks me what kind of file I want to write, data or text......I indicate data......the cd/dvd write window opens, I choose my photo file and it gets into the cd/dvd, I tell it to write, and then beeps at me that I have to copy a file to the cd/dvd write window ........what am I dont wrong?????

Linux Newbie
    Hello Frank

Are you paying for Mepis cds? Unless you are buying directly from Mepis.com, I have to wonder why. Maybe you're on dialup?

The cd burning problem is hard to answer without more information. What burning software are you using? Are you running the kde desktop or something else? There are many options in linux including using the file manager to burn in some cases. Please describe what you're doing in more detail if possible.

K3B is the best burning software going for linux in my opinion. Mepis comes with this installed. Not sure what Debian's default burning software might be. What variety of Debian are you running by the way?

Just Joined!
    Hi googled.....the burning problem is not with Mepis, but with Debian. It is not seeing my external burner. This burner will play music, and will install some packages, bu tfor some darn reason it has a problem mounting. when I switch USB sockets, it sees the disk, but alas it will not burn my photos. Even with K3B

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by frank75riz View Post
    Hi googled.....the burning problem is not with Mepis, but with Debian.
    Yep, I was aware of that.

It is not seeing my external burner.
    Ahhh, gotcha, this is a laptop and the burner is external! Sorry, but this is outside my comfort zone.

This burner will play music, and will install some packages, bu tfor some darn reason it has a problem mounting.
    That's confusing. Audio/video are not mounted as the computer deals with these things in a more direct way. However I'm not sure how packages can be installed from this drive without mounting? Maybe issuing the mount command (with no options) will give some clue. If the printer and external drive are both usb maybe a pattern is developing?

Wish I could be more help. The Mepis forums here are a bit of a graveyard plus the title of the thread doesn't reflect the cd problem. Maybe post a new thread in a more widely read part of these forums?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by frank75riz View Post
    Hi googled.....the burning problem is not with Mepis, but with Debian.
    Yep, I was aware of that.

It is not seeing my external burner.
    Ahhh, gotcha, this is a laptop and the burner is external! Sorry, but this is outside my comfort zone.

This burner will play music, and will install some packages, bu tfor some darn reason it has a problem mounting.
    That's confusing. Audio/video are not mounted as the computer deals with these things in a more direct way. However I'm not sure how packages can be installed from this drive without mounting? Maybe issuing the mount command (with no options) will give some clue. If the printer and external drive are both usb maybe a pattern is developing?

Wish I could be more help. The Mepis forums here are a bit of a graveyard plus the title of the thread doesn't reflect the cd problem. Maybe post a new thread in a more widely read part of these forums?

Just Joined!
    well, ole frank is back. Got my MEPIS 6.5 disk, installed it..it picked up my wireless with no problem. Installed hpoj, followed instructions and now can print, but only with an ethernet hookup. would love to do the wireless printing thing, but alas...I cant seem to to make that leap. I am wireless on the internet and would love to print wireless. Anyway, I can now print. Seems I will have to dig more..unless of course...you or someone knows the key to wirless printing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast