Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I made a couple bootable flash drives with a few versions of Linux and they boot just fine and are several times faster than Windows XP. When I download files ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bootable flash drive, files aren't saving...

I made a couple bootable flash drives with a few versions of Linux and they boot just fine and are several times faster than Windows XP. When I download files I they are no longer there when I reboot. What gives?

Linux Engineer
    /home or wherever the files are saved to might actually be on a ramdisk and not on the flash drive, or maybe it's not being properly unmounted before removed or rebooted so the files waiting in cache to be written are not written and are then lost on reboot. Or it could be something else I'm not thinking of right now. But you might check into those things.

Banned
    Just a guess:

Maybe the files do not get stored, because the USB-configurations are not sett properly.

The issue might be about USB and external devices.

Try to check, if the content is effective stored, before you log out.

Maybe try to print a file: If you can print it form your external disk, it might be ok.

If not: There we have the problem.

Just a guess: Only my two cents.

Anyway: If you don't have the files anymore, after starting up again, the files have not been saved/stored.
    Meaning: Not being saved, before logging out. Only my common sense...

Alexander

Edit:
    P.S.:
    With these external USB-devices (hotplugins, mass storage devices, etc.) it is sometimes like this:

The device can get detected/recognized by your system, but the device will not yet work together with your computer.

The issue about the usability of external USB-devices, is only now really catching up, with the better and updated kernels, that you don't have to patch anymore.

In most cases, you will still have do a lot of nitty-gritty fiddling work with the USB-configurations (the internal USB, as well).

USB 2.0, will match with a USB 2.0 port again, etc.

Maybe you might have to unplug your device after logging out, every time, and plugging it in after you have booted into your system (after start up has completed), not before. Then you would also see a icon of your device on your desktop. That way, you see at least, that it has been recognized.

Etc., etc.

You see: It is a bit of a delicate matter.

USB, took form 2001/2002 till 2007, till just now, to be, where it was meant to be, long ago.

In the meantime, we had issues and ideas about external and internal SATA cables, plugs and connections. And now, it would be even the better choice to take eSATA.

And eSATA, is actually the new thing, and if you will, the latest and best solution, for attaching and connecting devices. And to bee truly honest: Evengtough USB, has only really got usable, it is nearly already outdated by the two other cable/plug techniques.

(I would like to bring up the discussion again: "USB versus eSATA", which would be real fun, and really interesting.)

Kind regards,
    Alexander

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thank you Alexander for your detailed reply. I would like to see a thread about USB vs. eSATA as I have not yet even heard of eSATA. The only two I know of are USB and Firewire.

Banned
    Hi Nick.

Sure.

I will come up, some time with the eSATA issue.

Actually the USB-issue can be as sinteresting as well, because lots of people are confronted with problems, with devices attached, but not functioning.

It would be great, if you could give us some feedback, about if your device is "sort of asleep", or if it working together with your computer.

The best to start with, is the primitive "plug out, plug in" handling, to see, when you plug in, what sort of reaction that you get.
    Get to hear, or get to see on your desktop.

This is hard analytic work: Please get at it...

I am kindly waiting for your feedback(s), so that we can go from there.

What sort of kernel do you have? Which serie?

Is your flash disk something more like a solid state disk (SSD)?

I guess that your computer will put your device into the same categorie as USB-sticks.

If stick, or disk, or card: Those all have the flash system. No mechanical parts. All electronic, with chips, and so.

Alexander

It is a pen drive. 1gb. It is formatted to FAT32.

I downloaded/installed GCC from being booted to KNOPPIX off the drive, and I ran GCC (didn't compile because I didn't have any source) but it is evident that it did run as it gave errors not finding my source files and such.

So I did a test. I unplugged the flash drive while running. Linux stayed running, but the desktop disappeared and the terminal didn't run (I was going to see if GCC would still load without the pen drive installed). So anyways, GCC disappeared after I restarted.

I don't understand this at all...Seems almost useless to have linux on a pendrive if I can't save anything, even settings.

Banned
    Hello dear Nick.

The port that you are using, is actually for, I think, mass storage devices, and hotplug devices, etc. (I am not so familiar, but trying to help you.)

So: Your computer does treat your USB-stick differently, than a internal HDD.
    Even, if you would plug in a external HDD: It would be the same issue as with the stick. It does not matter, what you stick in to that port: The treatment, is for all devices the same.

Ok. Now let us go from there:

All storage devices, you stick into that port, you must unplug after use of your computer.

You should then plug the device in to the port, after booting into your system, when you get the final desktop-picture with all your icons.

Now, you are sopposed to plug them in. Then you get the icon of your USB-stick on your desktop.

As long as you have the icon on your desktop: So long you are able to save data onto the stick.

I hope, I am right. Try it out, and send feedback again, thanks.

That is how it works, with USB-Sticks..., apparently.

Alexander

Well I see the icon on my desktop without having to pull the drive out and plug it back in. But nothing "sticks". I save it, it disappears. I have no idea where it is getting installed to, it be into memory.

Last time I tried to unplug it while the OS was running, it messed everything up since it is booted off of it.

Also, what is that big archive in my linux install? It's like the Disk or something that gets uncompressed and recompressed on boot/shutdown. Is that where a file would be saved?

Ok, here is what I found out.

APPARENTLY since the Linux distributions I was using were LiveCD versions, they mounted my flash drive as a read-only CD. The settings cannot be changed, and if you do change them Linux finds it to be an error in the file system and sets it back to read-only again.

So any idea of a linux distribution that is under 700mb, can be installed from Windows, can boot from a flash drive, and is NOT a LiveCD version?

DamnSmallLinux and PCLinuxOS both have this same issue...

If you want this you need to set Persistent home/disk.
    If you've done that the Files are saved how you want them.
    This is really easy to setup.
    Especially with PCLinuxOS, have fun.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast