Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been enjoying linux and have a desire to try mepis..however my current project box is p3-600 mhz with 512 meg pc100, 4gig hd, agp 128 rage pro, sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

to mepis or not to mepis

I have been enjoying linux and have a desire to try mepis..however my current project box is p3-600 mhz with 512 meg pc100, 4gig hd, agp 128 rage pro, sound and modem...can I easily configure dialup? will mepis play a dvd and mp3 out of the box or easy add? will it even run well on this old box...any gurus willing to spot me best results with this box...maby antix is a better choice for it..if so what specs would offer best results for full mepis as min specs for OS seem to be.. well....thanks for ANY

Just Joined!
    Right...ok...if I have a desire to try mepis, I should do that and enjoy it or step away from the box....got it.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Right...ok...if I have a desire to try mepis, I should do that and enjoy it or step away from the box....got it.
    Mepis 7.0 is going through the last bit of debugging. Mepis has always been a bit of a snapshot so don't expect much ongoing help with 6.5, especially with another switch of repositories. Maybe the reason no one answered is because of this transition.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Download the live cd of either 6.5 or 7.0 rc2 and see what happens. Mepis is extremely good with hardware detection.

Have been using it on several systems with excellent results.

Try it, you may like it.

Just Joined!
    Absolute Home

I setup a PII and with some tweaking ran dvd movies with the voice in sync
    perfectly...this little mod distro of slack is sooo fast you won't believe it.

try it...you'll like it...
    if you want speed...this is it !!!

burdicda

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by burdicda View Post
    this little mod distro of slack is sooo fast you won't believe it.
    Huh???
    Posted to the wrong thread probably.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for responding...I had a few free to search and see mepis had moved to ubuntu repositories but is switching back to debian? and the new 7 is not final? and antix m7 is final but not complete...think I had better wait for stables....and maby in the mean time I will aquire a larger hd for the box as 4gig is antix material but 600mhz and 512ram should run mepis? maybe 20gig min hd? and what are the chances of a dvd?thus reason to aquire a dvd drive... so many questions so little time to play...cheers...p.s. could that last post be regarding vector maby..Hmmm

Linux Newbie
    and see mepis had moved to ubuntu repositories but is switching back to debian?
    Yeah, it's back to the future. Ubuntu LTS isn't everything it's cracked up to be apparently. Let's hope this doesn't end up like the last dance with debian testing.

I know what you mean about waiting for the final release. Being a test b***h
    for a different project is enough excitement here.

There was a dvd for 6.5 (or was it 6.0?). Expect there will be one for 7.0 eventually. This release is well behind schedule. 512 ram should work ok in any case.

If you do try antix how about a review? Bet your machine would flat out fly.

Just Joined!
    gave the antix M7 live cd a spin...liked the sound card and played a cd and mp3 but does not like the fm8818 modem with rockwell chip set that I used in damn small for dial up...attempted to check all irq and com settings via switches on the card but no luck..several other cards also no luck...

it is a nice piece of work and I would install m7.01 when it's ready with fixed repository issues if I could get a modem to work on it.