Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help, I want to install solaris 10 onto my 80gig hard drive, i am just learning java and want to run it in solaris, (this is my first time posting, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Solaris

Help, I want to install solaris 10 onto my 80gig hard drive, i am just learning java and want to run it in solaris, (this is my first time posting, sorry) so i have windows xp am in the middle of downloading solaris 10 from sun and am unsure how to and if i should partition my hard drive and run solaris there or do i need to install linux first then solaris next, i have abouyt 53 gigs free, i have done a ton of research but i am a little confused to what actually solaris is i guess, i thout of it sort of like windows, just a different better o\s. I really want to write programs for cell phones like palm, and was told learning java weas the way to go, i have an emachines w3080, its kinda old so i dont mind taking some risks now as im about to buy a new computer and would rather learn on this one and install nicely on the new on. Any help would be great thank you.

Solaris uses Grub bootloader but I'm not sure how reliable their configuration scripts are for detecting other operating systems. To be honest I have found the Solaris 10 install to be very flakey and it has fairly poor hardware support. I would install Solaris first and then install Linux, as most distros are pretty good at detecting other OSes.

Just Joined!

Something different

Would you suggest something other than solaris for learning java in? i want to get a real feel for working in it, thanks for you help

Quote Originally Posted by wannanoitall View Post
    Would you suggest something other than solaris for learning java in? i want to get a real feel for working in it, thanks for you help
    The great thing about Java is that you can really use it on pretty much any operating system out there. I write Java for a living and we use Microsoft Windows machines (XP), but I can also work on code at home on my laptop (in Mac OS X) or desktop (in Linux).

I would suggest you learn Java in whatever operating system you're most comfortable. That way you're not having to concentrate on learning a new OS on top of a new programming language. There are Java virtual machines and development environments (like IBM's Eclipse) available for Windows, Linux, and OS X.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks techiemoe, that is what ill do.