Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Has anyone else tried to use a Linux distro on this machine? It has the SunPlus Mobile SPG290 processor. The specs for this can be found: HyperScan Game Community: New ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Using Linux on the Mattel Hyperscan game console

Has anyone else tried to use a Linux distro on this machine? It has the SunPlus Mobile SPG290 processor. The specs for this can be found:

HyperScan Game Community: New Software for the 32 Bit Game Console

and

Sunplus mMobile - Products - Game Platform

The hardware in the game is largely off-the-shelf and most can be repaired or replaced easily.

What I am wanting to do is run a Linux livecd in it, and get basic display, keyboard, mouse and USB memory card (thumb drive type) usability.

I have asked the manufacturers (Mattel is not helping, Sunplus has yet to respond but it's the weekend) for any kind of devkit or OS that they use.

Based on the starting hardware of the console itself, I would think an embedded OS would work first. Any suggestions/

and if anyone would like to start developing, the consoles are going cheap. I got mine for $11.51 shipped from Circuit City.

Nathan

I got a response from SunPlus. My email has been forwarded and I am awaiting another response from the apprporiate people. Hopefully they have an OS that they used that I can also use, or somethng close.

Is anyone interested in helping out? I threw out links in the last post, but noone has replied even though there have been plenty of views. Isn't anyone interested???

Nathan

Just Joined!

I wonder why it was cancelled after 10 days and looks like no work done on it?

As it turns out, the proc is not that linux friendly after all. Sunplus told me to use ecos, an open source language for embedded systems. Even though this project is cancelled, there may be others.

Hyperscan Development, Intrest, My Website.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanallan View Post
    I got a response from SunPlus. My email has been forwarded and I am awaiting another response from the apprporiate people. Hopefully they have an OS that they used that I can also use, or somethng close.

Is anyone interested in helping out? I threw out links in the last post, but noone has replied even though there have been plenty of views. Isn't anyone interested???

Nathan
    Yes, I am interested in pursuing this project....

I also emailied Sunplus ,but never got a response, can you share the Emails you got? Maybe who the contacts were?

I also contacted the webmaseter of the site you qouted and he never responded. So I have started desigining my own website to share what info I have gathered.... Mattel Hyperscan

I also have located the patents for the Hyperscan:
    (WO/2007/033155) VIDEO GAME CONSOLES

(WO/2007/033302) VIDEO GAME MEDIA

Wes

Just Joined!
    It is really good to see more interests in this console. I think we need first to find exactly which CPU it uses! Old sources suggested SunPlus SPG290 SoC. But there is no trace of this chip inside the console!

Quote Originally Posted by fatgo6 View Post
    It is really good to see more interests in this console. I think we need first to find exactly which CPU it uses! Old sources suggested SunPlus SPG290 SoC. But there is no trace of this chip inside the console!
    The chip is in there, You need to remove that big metal heat sink!

I plan to add an inside the Hyperscan on my website....
    Took the pictures just haven't gotten them prepared yet to upload....

I thought it interesting that in the game controller patent it shows that they were intended to also be able to scan game cards..... I opened one of them and it's just push buttons no sign on the pc of extra intention the patent shows.

The USB Port shows possibility of intention to support maybe an ethernet option to maybe allow for online gaming as an option....But, guess since it didn't show any prospectus that idea of accessorizing it went to the wayside.

My main objective to start is to get an emulation of the hyperscan on the PC, Need to get firmware out of it to do that.

Once it is emulated then it can be built upon from there.
    Sunplus has a claim on there website that a develpment kit is available which I am trying to get ahold of.....

Interesting note: when I cracked mine open it had three wires and a jumper, when unjumpered or jumpered to the other 2 pins it wouldn't boot....
    wonder what that jumper is for?

Wes

Just Joined!
    I have the sunplus devkit for spg290 I just need to make sure the console uses the same components. So, the sooner you upload the pics the better

OKay, Guess I need to make a webpage to show you, so here is the page you can view the chips I found on the Motherboard...
    http://weskm.freeservers.com/HyperScan/ICChips.html

Wes

Exclamation S+core port of uClinux into HyScLinux

Okay, Well lets try it again! I resubmitted the request!

Check it out here: https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=...m&item_id=8064

Please , Click the link and vote to approve so the ground work can be set for this process to begin!

The Brief Synopsis:
    Description:
    HyperScan is a Game System Developed then abadoned by Mattel. It is
    envisioned that this unit can be utilized as a base processing unit for
    deveolpment in the computing article to further it's use.

The SUNPLUS S+core is a 32-bit cpu. Is a architecture, and this port of
    Linux (or uClinux) would be built upon it's core devices.

Right now, it has the gnu S+core tool chain. To evaluate the S+core cpu
    and
    tool chain and to support interested parties, it is looked to provide
    HyScLinux solution.
    This project is a S+core port of uClinux into HyScLinux, we intend to
    port uClinux to the assocoiated platforms such as SPG290, SPG291, SPG292,
    SPG300...
    These platforms could be used to develop further consumer devices,
    aswell as expand upon the uses of the HyperScan Game System.

Wes :drown:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast