Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Do not create new folder. Extract and store its files along with Slax .iso files....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do not create new folder. Extract and store its files along with Slax .iso files.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Slax is working now. I am using an old dell 260 and it's working without a problem, infact I am using slax to type this post. It won't however work on my laptop for some reason. I fail to believe that slax doesnt support its hardware because it's all basic dell parts. I would like to use slax for some systems admin stuff and so I have a question. I know WINE is a good way for using some windows programs in linux so would I be able to take a program like AVG antivirus or spybot s&d, load it into WINE, mount a hard drive that is using windows, and scan it for virus and spyware files? I know its probably wishful thinking but is it possible to get something like that to work?

There are a lot of Tools/LiveCDs available to Scan infected Windows OSes. You can use Knoppix LiveCD (check here) for that Or Google for LiveCDs having Virus Scanner.

You can install Windows Based AntiVirus using WINE but I never did that and can't comment.

Just Joined!
    The thing is that it's not going to be used simply for antivirus. I want it to have a variety of tools that range from partition managers - password breakers. I want this to be like a Hirens CD without the legal debate lol. One Big issue is that I need to install programs to slax and when I try it tells me:

# ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... gawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking for style of include used by make... none
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.

Here is the log (heliodor was nothing more then a test package)
    $ ./configure

## --------- ##
    ## Platform. ##
    ## --------- ##

hostname = slax
    uname -m = i686
    uname -r = 2.6.16
    uname -s = Linux
    uname -v = #95 Wed May 17 10:16:21 GMT 2006

/usr/bin/uname -p = pentium4
    /bin/uname -X = unknown

/bin/arch = i686
    /usr/bin/arch -k = unknown
    /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
    /usr/bin/hostinfo = unknown
    /bin/machine = unknown
    /usr/bin/oslevel = unknown
    /bin/universe = unknown

PATH: /usr/local/sbin
    PATH: /usr/sbin
    PATH: /sbin
    PATH: /usr/local/bin
    PATH: /usr/bin
    PATH: /bin
    PATH: /usr/X11R6/bin
    PATH: /usr/games
    PATH: /opt/kde/bin
    PATH: /usr/lib/qt/bin

If it turns out I have to install a compiler does anyone know and howto's, forum posts, or articles on doing it because I have never done anything like that before. Thx.

You have to install build-essential package. Check documentation on Package installation at slax official site.

Just Joined!
    I didnt know slax had a build like that. I know slackware has the slackx packages but that was it. I cant get to the slax website tho, it only takes me to a slax blog. I think I am still running slax live so I will just partition my flash drive and get things started. Would I have to use wget to download the essentials build?

I have used Slax a lot but never installed any package. I will check it again and let you know.
    I hope someone will chime in soon and let us know about how to install packages in Slax.

Just Joined!
    I just started using slax. I found an article that tells me how to install a precompiled GCC binary package but the instructions left me rather confused. Was slax meant to be run totally live or is their an option to install it to my flash drive so packages and config settings are saved? I have already used make_disk.sh and I thought that was how it was installed but it still seems to be running live.

Check here.
    Comment posted by Slax Developer in Hard Disk/USB Stick installation Section:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slax Developer
    this section is under construction. some more information is needed to describe, eg. how to use changes properly and benefit all the new SLAX features while running from writable media.
    Last edited by devils casper; 01-03-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: link ?

Just Joined!
    Do you have a link to that thread? I cannot find it on the forums. I googled "Hard Disk/USB Stick installation" and it brought up a really good step by step article on partitioning, copying directories, and changing fstab. it doesn't however tell you how to configure lilo but I will figure it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2