Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I dont know if this belongs in the Slackware threads or not but i am having some trouble booting slax off my flash drive. The initial splash screen starts and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting Slax

I dont know if this belongs in the Slackware threads or not but i am having some trouble booting slax off my flash drive. The initial splash screen starts and when I try to boot I get nothing but a black screen. I push F1 and try other options and nothing seems to work. Would I have more luck with a different distribution?

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure, but it sounds like some kind of graphics issue.

Maybe your xorg.conf file isn't setup properly for your video card and monitor. Check this link for a possible fix.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I have no way of getting to the xorg.conf file cuz I cant get past the splash screen. Maybe I should just use linux from scratch. I'll figure something out, thx.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Plug-in flash drive and boot up from any LiveCD. Mount partition of flash drive and check the contents of its /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Post its contents here, if possible.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I cant believe I didnt think of that. I have my ubuntu live cd right in front of me and I will try it out right now. I'll let you know what happens.

Just Joined!
    There is no etc directory. I have not installed slax yet because I cant get past the initial splash screen. I have never used slax but I've heard good things about it. I honestly dont know what it could be. It can't be my laptop cuz its a basic dell. I'm sure I'll figure it out. I appreciate any help.

Happy New Years Everyone

oz
    forum.guy
    Maybe you installed it to the drive wrong. Not sure which HowTo you might have used, but here's another one you could try:

USB SLAX install | USB Pen Drive Linux
    oz

Just Joined!
    I used that exact same article and I set everything up accordng to the isntructions. Its weird. Maybe it just doesn't like my laptops hardware. When I format my flash drive should I use FAT or FAT32? I am using FAT32 right now. I am about to reformat with FAT.

Reformat Flash drive and try installing Slax again. Format it in FAT32 filesystem only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok I will give it another shot. When I extract the fixs.zip files to my flash drive should I extract it to a folder seperate from the slax files from the extracted ISO or will it not matter at all?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast