Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Hey, thanks for the welcome! I hope to stay awhile, learn some stuff, and help others. But to get to the point, the last time I ran Ubuntu was back ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hey, thanks for the welcome! I hope to stay awhile, learn some stuff, and help others.

But to get to the point, the last time I ran Ubuntu was back when 7.04 was out, and that worked great, then I went to Sabayon (Beryl stoped working in Ubuntu) but found out Sabayon was a lot of OS, and I didn't need anything so large. So then I tried to go back to Ubuntu 7.10 (In hopes of getting Beryl to work) but when I tried to load the LiveCD I got tons of errors shot at me. So then I tried a text install, but got different errors, in a different format... Then I tried to go back to 7.04, but still no luck. Right now I am running Sabayon again because at this point it is the only option that will work for me. Thank you all for the help, and thank you for not hazing me!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbag1 View Post
    I have to agree with the hardware problem - I have even had this problem trying to do a windows install - it was the read writes it failed on. I would suggest get the most upto date and stable release you can find, i use fedora 8, and then do a basic hard drive install.
    Is Fedora very user friendly? Is it really good?

Hey Erik,
    Fedora is very good. I don't know that it is the most user friendly, however, if you're familiar with Ubuntu, you should have absolutely no problem picking up Fedora quickly.

As for your problem, I'll tell you right now, it is your hardware. Maybe you haven't had problems before. Your specs do suffice. However, there are so many other things to take into account:
    1) is your burner screwed up?
    2) are all of your cables in 100% condition? Would you even know if they weren't?
    3) what drivers on there? What drivers are/have become corrupted? do they conflict?
    4) has your RAM become damaged or corrupted? Again, would you even know?

There are so many variables between hardware, drivers, IDE/SATA cables, and undetectable damage that it is almost impossible to know for sure that it is DEFINITELY NOT your hardware. Especially with the problems you're describing with such consistency and variety of distros. I am not trying to discredit your knowledge. It's just that it is not always easy to figure out that your IDE and/or SATA cables have become corrupt.

I personally use PCLinuxOS. I had used Mandriva for a while, but my opengl kept breaking on it. PCLOS is by far my favorite distro. You may have better luck with that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Hey Erik,
    Fedora is very good. I don't know that it is the most user friendly, however, if you're familiar with Ubuntu, you should have absolutely no problem picking up Fedora quickly.

As for your problem, I'll tell you right now, it is your hardware. Maybe you haven't had problems before. Your specs do suffice. However, there are so many other things to take into account:
    1) is your burner screwed up?
    2) are all of your cables in 100% condition? Would you even know if they weren't?
    3) what drivers on there? What drivers are/have become corrupted? do they conflict?
    4) has your RAM become damaged or corrupted? Again, would you even know?

There are so many variables between hardware, drivers, IDE/SATA cables, and undetectable damage that it is almost impossible to know for sure that it is DEFINITELY NOT your hardware. Especially with the problems you're describing with such consistency and variety of distros. I am not trying to discredit your knowledge. It's just that it is not always easy to figure out that your IDE and/or SATA cables have become corrupt.

I personally use PCLinuxOS. I had used Mandriva for a while, but my opengl kept breaking on it. PCLOS is by far my favorite distro. You may have better luck with that.
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

1) As far as I know, my burner works perfectly (I have burned Sabayon the same day, and it worked)(I just don't like Sabayon to much)
    2) Pretty sure they are, because they work just fine for Windows, and they look in good condition.
    3) I don't think my drivers are corrupt, but they very well might be...
    4) No, my RAM is not corrupt, and yes I would know (Don't doubt my computer knowledge in general, but feel free to doubt my Linux knowledge :P)
    I have done many memory tests, and I have tested Linux with different sticks of memory.

But thanks for all the ideas! I'll just buy a new hard drive, and install it clean on there with no goofy dual booting.

Before you buy a new hdd I think it would be useful to sort out exactly what the problem is. Lets focus on ubuntu for a moment; If I read your post correctly you are never even able to boot into the LiveCD without many errors. If you post those errors someone may be able to suggest a boot option (or other workaround) to get rid of them. The install may work cleanly from a stable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by erickj92 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

1) As far as I know, my burner works perfectly (I have burned Sabayon the same day, and it worked)(I just don't like Sabayon to much)
    2) Pretty sure they are, because they work just fine for Windows, and they look in good condition.
    3) I don't think my drivers are corrupt, but they very well might be...
    4) No, my RAM is not corrupt, and yes I would know (Don't doubt my computer knowledge in general, but feel free to doubt my Linux knowledge :P)
    I have done many memory tests, and I have tested Linux with different sticks of memory.

But thanks for all the ideas! I'll just buy a new hard drive, and install it clean on there with no goofy dual booting.
    Hey Erik,

Ok good. Please know that I was not doubting you're knowledge. Merely giving you examples of the complexity of hardware. Those were also just examples. Other things could still be array. As for any offense I may or may not have extended, I am sorry and ask for your forgiveness. I would never try to offend someone and I am certainly not an expert myself. So with that said...

Good to hear about your hardware. I am still not convinced that it's not a hardware issue. The reason for it, at least in my experience, when something works one day, and not the next--for no obvious reason--it's almost always going to be hardware. I wish I could be more help.

Another option I could offer pertains to your BIOS. If you haven't tried so already, boot into your BIOS and reset all settings to the default settings. I've had success with this when trying to get Linux to work.

Good luck, Erik. I really do hope you get what you want to work. I may not always have the correct solutions, but am more than willing to help you in anyway I can. =)

P.S. Remember, those who enjoy linux are condemned to fix it for life!

Just Joined!
    I recently had similar problems on a HP Pavillion Laptop. It started by crashing in windows XP. Then any updates would be met by errors and more crashes, then it wouldn't boot the hard drive. Next I couldn't partition the drive from XP CD, by the next day it wouldn't even boot CD or let me enter the BIOS (which I hadn't altered) and is pronounced dead.
    According to some HP forums there were roughly 1 in 100 BIOS failures on those models in 2004 (this was an 05 model) so it can happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2