Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have tried many versions of Linux, but some how they all seem to fail. Ubuntu: Get errors while loading Live CD, and get errors in Text Install Debian: Gives ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NO Linux Will Work!

I have tried many versions of Linux, but some how they all seem to fail.
    Ubuntu: Get errors while loading Live CD, and get errors in Text Install
    Debian: Gives me errors telling me a file on the disk is corrupt, or it failed to copy some file
    Mandriva: Only gives me one option, and that is to boot with it, but when I do that is asks for a root password. When I make up a password, it does not work.

Others like:
    Sabayon: Take to much hard drive space, and is too un-user friendly
    Gentoo: Seems to simple

But with the first three, what am I doing wrong? Why wont they install, and why am I getting errors for all three of them? Please help me!

Linux Guru
    Here's my experience (and there's quite a bit of it) when I get install problems from multiple OS's....hardware.

Only other *small* chance is that you're corrupting your install media when you download/burn it - but that depends on if you've burned them all on the same drive.

What are the hardware specs on the machine you're using? There may be something that's causing the distros you try to have fits. If we know what you have we might be able to offer a workaround for it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I agree with techieMoe. Unsupported Graphics Card and low RAM creates problems most of the time. Post your machine's specs here.

* Have you tried Text Install of any distro except Ubuntu? Ubuntu LiveCD's Text install isn't actual Text Install. It loads complete GUI and starts text installer after that only.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Gentoo is too simple. It actually takes a bit of skill to install and manage Gentoo.

As for your problems, they defintely seem to be hardware related. Some distros e.g. openSUSE and Mepis offer a kind of failsafe option for booting into the OS or installing, so choose that and see if it helps.

Just Joined!
    My system specs are:

1.99 GHz CPU AMD Athlon
    1 GB RAM
    256 MB GPU GeForce 6200
    DVD R-W DL Drive
    20 GB HDD dedicated to Linux

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    I agree with techieMoe. Unsupported Graphics Card and low RAM creates problems most of the time. Post your machine's specs here.

* Have you tried Text Install of any distro except Ubuntu? Ubuntu LiveCD's Text install isn't actual Text Install. It loads complete GUI and starts text installer after that only.

I have done the test install, yes.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Here's my experience (and there's quite a bit of it) when I get install problems from multiple OS's....hardware.

Only other *small* chance is that you're corrupting your install media when you download/burn it - but that depends on if you've burned them all on the same drive.
    I have used Ubuntu before with no issues, it just recently that this has been happening. So I don't really think it is my hardware.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, erickj92!

What version of Ubuntu worked for you before?

Maybe you could try it again.

Otherwise, using just a single forum thread to try and figure out all the possible problems with all the various distros you've tried is not likely to work out very well. You really need to tackle them one distro and one problem at a time, and in a separate thread for each problem.

At any rate, best of luck with whatever you should decide.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    I have to agree with the hardware problem - I have even had this problem trying to do a windows install - it was the read writes it failed on. I would suggest get the most upto date and stable release you can find, i use fedora 8, and then do a basic hard drive install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast