Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I have looked through here for my situation but did not see it. First of all, I have tried various avenues for getting a hard drive into my other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question new GOS trial user - without hard drive.

Hello! I have looked through here for my situation but did not see it.

First of all, I have tried various avenues for getting a hard drive into my other computer. The background of that can be followed here - Bad drive assumed after talk with techs -- - Tech Support Forum I won't repeat all that here. The summary is that we cannot right now afford a new hard drive and haven't discovered how to install the old old one we do have that may be good.

IN the meantime, we are running the 5150 Dell Dimension using a trial "Live CD" of GOS. We were going to buy the GOS computer from Walmart for $200 but once we got this working we changed our mind. My daughter is using it but is becoming increasing frustrated over not being able to save anything and having to install her settings every day over and over because there is no hard drive.

My question is, on my computer, a Dell 4700 using XP that has its own 32 or so GIG hard drive and due to space issues (run my own transcription business) have linked it to an external Seagate hard drive with, I believe, it's 250 GIGs. When we first got it I had partitioned it and assigned the G drive of probably about 75 GIGs to my daughter, before her Dell Dimension 5150's hard drive crashed (LUCKY that I'd done that!!). But now that her computer is running with no hard drive only off the DVD burned with GOS, it doesn't seem to any longer recognize through the network that G drive (connected to my computer).

Is there a way to get to the network and recognize it with the GOS dvd in the drive, running her computer? I don't see how to do it but maybe as a newbie there is something I don't know. I see something about a virtual desktop but I don't know what that is or if that is what I want? I just want to link her computer to mine so she can share my hard drive, install linux on it, and install her programs and be able to save her files again. Is such a thing possible? And would we install linux ONLY on one of the partiitions and have nothing else on it or can linux be on there with other items I've already saved to it (there right now are items on each of the 3 partitions - E is mine for my business, F is not on there, that's my photo stick drive, G is hers, and H is mine for programs I'm installing and will most likely be my backup drive as well.

Eventually we want to get her a hard drive but just can't afford it right now. And with my business I can't manage giving her the external hard drive, as I have so many programs running off it -- UNLESS (and I don't know if this is possible actually) maybe I can still run my programs off it just like I'm thinking of her running her programs off it with it on mine...

hmmm, maybe I should try that.

Well, TIA for any info or advice you have.

dori

Just Joined!

Knoppix to the rescue!

As for the hard drive install you definitely can put that in if it has a (IDE) connector identical to that Seagate HD that is presumably dead. You can use one of the cables from the CD/DVD drives as IDE cable for the hard drive, but I would use the one that was connected to the drive that died in there, because... You need to make a note that the cable you do connect is on the master/primary IDE port of the motherboard. You will notice that there are two ports on your motherboard to connect these IDE cables. Hard drives and flopys are on the primay and optical drives are on the secondary. Anyway just connect the drive to the primary IDE cable and the bios should pick it up.

As for the HD sharing. I know that windows and linux use 2 different network protocols. The only way I know of to network the two would be to use a samba service. That is kinda complicated and from the nature of your HD question I don't think you want to mess with that.

One quick fix you could implement is running KNOPPIX live cd/dvd. You can obtain a cd image from there website Knoppix Linux. Download (make sure the image name has "-en" at the end so the language will be english) that and burn it to a disc, then use it just like the GOS disc. One feature of knoppix is that it can be a live cd, but save its configuration/any user files on a hard drive/flash drive. You can do that by hitting the "start button" imitation (lower left corner) and rest over Knoppix and select Create persistent image. It says it is experimental, but I have extensively tested and used it, works great. Go through the wizard and select the drive you want the use. It don't take much memory so a small 128 or even 64Mb flash drive will do. I would make the image 40-50Mb, and use the rest of the space to save my files. After that reboot and it should find it automatically and ask you what to do. Just push the down arrow once to mount as a writable persistent image and off you go. Hope I could answer some questions, Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply! Now, do you mean that I could run that Knoppix and that I could have her save her files on our external hard drive that's connected to my machine? Or that I would save it on the machine itself? I don't have a flash drive, but there is a floppy on there (don't remember the size of Mb's on a floppy disk, unfortunately!). And of course there's a CD/DVD rewriteable on there....

Actually my husband has a small flash drive for his laptop - maybe he can let her use it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Flash dirve needed

I don't know of any way you could save her files to your external hard drive on your machine. Not with her computer running linux and yours running windows.

A floppy(1.44MB)is too small for the image. A small flash drive is what you need. I believe you can pick one of those up at walmart for 10-15$, or if you husband's works out that would be fine. You only need 30MB to have the image (default size). It will look like a file on the drive and you can delete it when you are done. One thing about the persistent image is it won't let you write to the drive (partition) that it is on because it is currently in use. So, you need to re partition the flash drive with your windows machine. You can do this by:
    inserting the flash drive
    go to the control pannel
    select administrative tools (in the classic view)
    select computer management
    on the left column select disc management under storage
    I would suggest a 50MB partition for the image, and the rest for her to save files to. You NEED to use fat or fat32 formating on the drive to retain integrity while using linux. Linux has problems with NTFS. I have had good experiences with it and knoppix though I have heard some horror stories. The only difference between the two is that fat has a file size limit of 3.4GB (that may be a problem while downloading the dvd iso image if your Hard drive you are saving it to is fat formated). Good luck! I'll be on here another 2hrs for any quick questions