Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey I am a nebie and I am looking for a simple server that has a effective gui. I have installed CentOS 4.4 Single Server CD. It installs fine, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GUI Server Seeker

Hey I am a nebie and I am looking for a simple server that has a effective gui. I have installed CentOS 4.4 Single Server CD. It installs fine, and I can get logged in as root, but when I try to startx it always fails. I think it is the video card (Nvidea 400M) from looking at the log file. I know I selected the kde package to install, but I don't know how to start it up from the terminal (like the startx command). I have always used the KNOPPIX live cd for my linux experience, and new to the full install distros. Any advise on server OS with gui or how to get KDE working from the terminal?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hey I am a nebie and I am looking for a simple server that has a effective gui.
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check out our server poll to see what others like.

I can get logged in as root, but when I try to startx it always fails.
    Actually logging in as root is generally considered a very bad idea. You should be able to su to root from your user account to make any admin changes that are needed.

I know I selected the kde package to install, but I don't know how to start it up from the terminal (like the startx command).
    Do you have the xserver setup, and properly configured?

If so, did you try startx from the command line as a regular user?

If so, what errors are you getting?
    oz

Just Joined!
    thanks for the help, I have just switched to ubuntu server 7.10. I have a couple os install discs I am playing with. As you probly know ubuntu installs with the root disabled. So I install Xsever from the CD (I have no internet connection for the server). It appeared to go smooth. I used the startx command after in my account. Its error messages are as follows:
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/noruder/.serverauth.4775
    xauth: error in locking authority file /home/noruder/.Xauthority
    X: cannot stat /ect/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
    xinit: Server error

Now I find out I can't even shut it down with my user. I need to be root?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run Ubuntu but I'm guessing that you might not have configured the xserver yet. If not, you'll need to enter the following command from the console:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    You can probably get away with choosing the defaults when you answer the questions that it asks, and then you can manually edit your xorg.conf file to fine tune it.
    oz

Just Joined!

Missing xserver-xorg package

when I did that configure command it says:
    Package 'xserver-xorg' is not installed and no info is available

So I try to install it by:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg

It replies:
    Package xserver-xorg is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.
    E: Package xserver-xorg has no installation canidate

Not sure where to go after this, I may switch back to CentOS and trouble shoot that error. The problem was I don't think it gave any error messages that I recall. I know it had the right driver for the video card, but the log file hints at not being able to detect the resolution. I don't know...I can't believe how complicated it is to find a linux server with a working gui. Is it that hard to manage one without? Thanks for the help

oz
    forum.guy
    Try installing xorg this way and see what happens:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xorg
    oz

Just Joined!

Package not found

error message:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find the package xorg

no luck, is it that complicated to manage a server through terminal? I was raised on windows and barely familiar with it's command line (just the networking commands)

oz
    forum.guy
    Ok, be sure, if you have done so already, that you are issuing the following command before trying to install any additional packages:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Then try doing this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    Doing that should download and install the desktop and the xserver since it's a dependency to the desktop.
    oz

Just Joined!

No Internet connection

I currently have no internet connection for the server. I am switching back to CentOS unless you have any other Ideas that would help me with this ubuntu gui. Thankyou very much I will be starting a new CentOS thread when I am up and running, if I run into problems again. Thanks again for the help!!ttyl

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are going to go with CentOS, you should probably consider going with version 5.x since it should have better hardware detection, and other advancements/enhancements.

Have fun with your new server!
    oz