Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been trying to install gOS onto an older hp laptop. It keeps crashing in the middle of installation. I am able to get onto the desktop and click install, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

gOS install on laptop

I've been trying to install gOS onto an older hp laptop. It keeps crashing in the middle of installation. I am able to get onto the desktop and click install, it will fail after that. Anyone have an idea?

It could be the hardware on your laptop. What are it's specs? Memory, hd size, processor etc...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

If I remember correctly, it has 256 RAM, 20GB, 1GHz P3 proc. The thing that gets me is that it failed at different points everytime.

EDIT: It's an Hp omnibook 6100

I've been meaning to have a look at gOS So I can't advise you about its installation process. You might want to try another distro like DSL or Ubuntu and see how installation goes. If you can get through it okay with one of them, I think it might just be a problem with the gOS install or the install disk itself. If you have the same problem with other distros then it would make me think there is an issue with the laptop. I have an old omnibook with 256 as well and it runs perfectly under Slackware 12 which installed without incident. Sorry I couldn't help more...

Thats ok, it seems like it could be an issue with the laptop seeing as it did the same thing when i tried to run partedmagic which uses a live disk, im not sure if you're familiar. I'm trying again to see if it was just chance. gOS has alot of cool built in features linked to Google, definitely cool.

Just Joined!

Lightbulb Knoppix

I would recomend KNOPPIX live cd. It runs great on my old hp desktop. It is a live cd that can be copied to the hard drive/ or can be installed although I have never had any luck with the installer. The live cd works fine if you use it for a boot loader after you enter the cheatcode: knoppix tohd=/dev/hda1 then the next time you boot just use knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1 and you are loaded from the hard drive. (much faster then cd).If you want to be able to save config files just create a persistent image on another partition, and for data storage you will need another partition. The persistent image can be on a small flash drive that you can carry around and use KNOPPIX on any machine that boots from the cd drive with you configuration with you at all times. Very stable, reliable, and easy! that is what I started with

Thanks I'll give that a try. The reason I was trying out gOS was because I was thinking about installing it on the eeePC, and i wanted to give it a spin before i bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Opticon73 View Post
    Thanks I'll give that a try. The reason I was trying out gOS was because I was thinking about installing it on the eeePC, and i wanted to give it a spin before i bought one.
    I bought my wife an EEE PC for Christmas and we are very happy with it for the most part. The only app we did not find that we thought necessary was a photo import utility. It was a simple matter to apt-get Digikam and now we are 100% satisfied with it. Might I ask why you would want to install gOS when the EEE PC already comes with a customized version of Xandros?

From what I understand gOS has built in compatability with google docs and spreadsheets, as well as many online interfaces. Among other things, I was hoping to free up some more hard drive space by keep files on googles servers instead of on the eeePC. I also saw a customized version of Xubuntu called eeexubunutu on eeeuser forum i thought might be worth a try. Ultimately if Xandros works well then i'll prollay just keep it.