Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I just recently bought an EEEPC 4G and was expecting that the built in webcam will automatically works on skype and messenger. I had never handled a Linux OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

built in webcam for EEEPC 4G

Hello! I just recently bought an EEEPC 4G and was expecting that the built in webcam will automatically works on skype and messenger. I had never handled a Linux OS before so i am having challenges figuring it out. Would someone help me out how to make the built in webcam work in skype and messenger. Any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Just Joined!

I got Skype video working on EeePC 4G

Just bought my EeePC 4G with webcam today, and just got the video working. The Skype version that comes with the Asus is not the beta version which enables video. You can download the newer beta with video support at Download Skype for Linux

I chose the Xandros version (Deb file) and downloaded it. Once I downloaded the file then I went into file manager to make sure it was there and right-clicked the Debian package to install. (I am not sure if this step is necessary but this is what I did).

Then I went into the Settings tab, selected Add/Remove programs. I clicked Internet tab and saw Skype. I selected Update. It took a while, the first time I got "too many errors". Tried again and the update worked. Restarted the EeePC. When I went back to Skype it was the new beta. Tried calling with video. First 2 times, the call got dropped but now it works. I had a quick 2 minute test video call and it was fine. Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Xandros 900 Mhz Compatible EXTERNAL Webcams: MOBILE streaming
    To: qce-ga-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net
    Cc: admin@splitcamera.com; idea@splitcamera.com
    Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:02 pm
    TO: qce-ga-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net

CC: admin@splitcamera.com; idea@splitcamera.com

RE: Xandros 900 Mhz Compatible EXTERNAL Webcams

Latest News: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/xan...-eeepc-4g.html
    ...offers hope.

Because of the flash memory, and small size and light weight, the ASUS Eee is ideally suited for mobile streaming, BUT google searches for usb webcams compatible with 900 MHz clock speed are not bringing up results.

Plus there is the issue of LINUX drivers.

When you use an external USB webcam with the ASUS Eee and go to the Adobe Recorder at UStream and then click on the grant access to your camera and mic button, does the software give you the choice of an external USB webcam OR the embedded Eee webcam? Independent of that, since you can buy an Eee without a webcam, what EXTERNAL usb webcams are compatible with 900 MHz clock speeds?

I know on the Macbook pro the 'usb camera' choice In the Adobe Recorder window finds the embedded iSight web cam in the MacBook Pro, but I haven't tried the Adobe Recorder and MacBook Pro with an external USB webcam hooked up yet, BUT AGAIN, INDEPENDENT of that, what EXTERNAL usb webcams are compatible with the Eee 900 MHz clock speed?

So, does the Adobe Recorder "Grant access to camera and mic" button default to the webcam that comes installed with the ASUS Eee? Or does it give you a choice between the two if you have an external usb webcam hooked up? Again, INDEPENDENT of this, what external usb webcams are compatible with 900 Mhz?

AND what external USB webcams work best with the 900 MHz clockspeed of the ASUS Eee processor? Logitec and MicroSoft 1.3 to 2.0 MegaPixel usb webcams require 1.4 MHz (2.4 Mhz recommended).

CreativeCam for notebooks offers 1.3 MP, but the B&H photo website indicates 1.8 Mhz is recommended for it and the ASUS Eee is only 900 MHz.

So, what webcams and drivers can students and others find to permit us to m o b i l e stream? This is critical for those of us interested in MOBILE STREAMING.

One LINUX forum user posted: Just bought my EeePC 4G with webcam today, and just got the video working. The Skype version that comes with the Asus is not the beta version which enables video. You can download the newer beta with video support at Download Skype for Linux...

But unless you walk around like Diogenes offering your lap top to the world like a lighted lamp, the embeded webcam is not going to show the world much more than our faces. And we think what we see is as important as how we look when we see it...

So, please...

First draft of email picks up here:

ASUS Eee @ 900 MHz and Xandros Linux are here, and we want to use USB webcams to stream video and audio, but a list of LINUX drivers and webcams optimal for 900 MHz is not found, so PLEASE work with us to generate such a list and get this information public so who is not tempted to ditch XANDROS Linux and install Windows XP...

CreativeCam looks to be the most likely compatible but a google search has not brought up a clean and simple driver install response yet.

Video - Linux Downloads Directory offers drivers to download, but again it's not clear usb webcam is facillitated. Maybe it's up to the manufacturers to note their cameras are Linux compatible? or ASUS?

dyne:bolic 2.5.2 in Distributions / Live with 1 Vote

Submitted by Hawkwind on 2006-07-25 Updated by ozar on 2007-12-03
    dyne:bolic is a GNU/Linux distribution running from a CD and able to recognise most of your devices and peripherals: sound, video, TV, network cards, firewire, USB devices and more.

The flash memory hard drives in the ASUS eee make mobile streaming a real possibility. Clip on a USB web cam, put your ASUS Eee in your back pack and LIVE your life while you stream.

Does LINUX offer a power management option that permits us to close the laptop and have it stay on? Windows offers that. But not Apple yet.

Anything else?

[[Thn]]

2008:03:26:00:28: webcam Mhz google search finds: the iBot webcam indicates a 400 Mhz processor minimum, but is a FIREWIRE interface, while the ASUS Eee is USB 2.0. Perhaps there is a converter? But there is no LINUX driver mentioned.

Note: Mobiola and who else offer software to convert your cellphone into a wireless web cam. LINUX Xandros Blue tooth? But it's not with all phones, and many of the webcams are far lighter than cell phones which is important for body worn m o b i l e live your life streaming / learning / conferencing; xref: Lockheed WIRE software adaptations to medical and education use so that AI, tutors, peer to peer, and parent involvement can all come into play while the 'student' is mobile and streaming.

Another search:
    Web Video Results 1 - 10 of about 35,400 for webcam suitable ASUS Eee. (0.26 seconds)
    YouTube - Asus Eee PC Webcam with a BlueTooth Headset
    Filter videos that may not be suitable for minors Note: some ...
    Watch video - 8 min -

Rated 0.0 out of 5.0

YouTube - Asus Eee PC Webcam with a BlueTooth Headset
    EeeUser ASUS Eee PC EeePC Forum / Nlited XP and Webcam
    How does your webcam appears in Hardware Manager? ... Asus EEE PC 701 4G Black, 2GB RAM, 8GB SDHC, Win XP Pro nLited. Offline ...
    forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=129121 - 15k - Cached - Similar pages
    Eee PC - Blog - The unofficial blog about Asus Eee PC
    So, the best possible solution to this problem is to encode videos in a format suitable for the Asus Eee PC. How do you do that? Use Rockpod 8 Video Encoder ...
    Eee PC - Blog - The unofficial blog about Asus Eee PC - 33k - Cached - Similar pages
    Eee PC Internal Upgrades - ivc wiki
    Not having to deal with the webcam or wifi disabled in the BIOS affecting the .... Somehow Asus decided to not include Bluetooth in the final Eee revision. ...
    beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/Eee_PC_Internal_Upgrades - 133k - Cached - Similar pages
    ASUS EEE PC 4GB 701 WHITE 7.0" 900MHz/512MB/WiFi/WEBCAM - eBay ...
    eBay: Find ASUS EEE PC 4GB 701 WHITE 7.0" 900MHz/512MB/WiFi/WEBCAM in the Computers ... In the event that a suitable replacement is not available, ...
    cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360036308807&ih=023&ca tegory=
    177&ssPageName=S... - 165k - 23 hours ago - Cached - Similar pages
    BRAND NEW ASUS EEE PC 4G PINK 7" 4GB/512MB/WiFi/WebCam! - eBay ...
    eBay: Find BRAND NEW ASUS EEE PC 4G PINK 7" 4GB/512MB/WiFi/WebCam! in the Computers ... In the event that a suitable replacement is not available, ...
    cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190208913129&ih=009&ca tegory=
    177&ssPageName=S... - 162k - Cached - Similar pages
    eBay.ca : New Asus eee pc 4GB Surf subnotebook w/o webcam Pink ...
    Trouvez New Asus eee pc 4GB Surf subnotebook w/o webcam Pink dans la Computers Networking ... might not be suitable or compatible in your country or region. ...
    cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/New-Asus-eee-pc-4GB-Surf-subnotebook-w-o-webcam-Pink_W0Q
    QitemZ310025665338QQihZ021QQcate... - 134k - Cached - Similar pages
    BRAND NEW ASUS EEE PC 4G PINK 7" 4GB/512MB/WiFi/WebCam! en vente ...
    Lors de votre achat : BRAND NEW ASUS EEE PC 4G PINK 7" 4GB/512MB/WiFi/WebCam!, vous pouvez aussi consulter les guides d'achat et les avis des membres eBay! ...
    cgi.ebay.fr/BRAND-NEW-ASUS-EEE-PC-4G-PINK-7-4GB-512MB-WiFi-WebCam_W0QQite
    mZ200204468478QQihZ010QQcategory... - 150k - Cached - Similar pages
    MODTHEBOX.COM - Canada's Premier Case Modding Source - Reviews ...
    Asus eee-PC is expected to come in 4 different models. There are two cheaper 'Surf' models without web-cam and equipped with soldered DDR memory instead of ...
    MODTHEBOX.COM - Canada's Premier Case Modding Source - Reviews - Asus eee-PC Ultra Mobile PC (4G Model) - 35k - Cached - Similar pages
    webcams's Search Results - 88DB Singapore
    Install Windows XP on your Asus Eee PC Want Windows XP on your Eee PC instead of .... Beautifully design Webcam. Suitable as a executive corporate gifts. ...
    sg.88db.com/sg/Services/Ad_search.listing?Q=Webcams&O=post - 143k - Cached - Similar pages

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close