Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
The link you gave me is for dsl running of a usb drive, and I have dsl installed on my hdd, will that make a difference? It tells me "In ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The link you gave me is for dsl running of a usb drive, and I have dsl installed on my hdd, will that make a difference? It tells me "In the dls-linux.sh file, change this part of the string:
    -append "qemu frugal quiet"
    add dsl 2 after the quotes so it reads:
    -append "dsl 2 qemu frugal quiet"
    then save the file, reboot using the dsl-linux.sh script and it will boot to run level 2."

If dsl-linux.sh is included in the hdd install, I can't find it anywhere.

Just Joined!
    i tried changing my /etc/inittab/ file and changed the line that says :
    "id:5:initdefault" to "id:3:initdefault", but it boots to command line, not a login. Maybe what I had when i first installed DSL wasn't right, but before it booted to the gui, it would stay text based, asking for my login. Thats what I want back, unless there's some other way to log in.

Just Joined!
    actually, can i just keep it on runlevel 3 so that it boots to the command line, and then log in as my user or root, and startx? that would be the best. thanks so much guys. I'm really new, but im learning a lot.

Just Joined!
    I thought I had it figured out! I set it to runlevel 3, and when it got to the cli, i typed "login" and logged in as my user, and then typed "startx", thinking this would start my gui, but instead, it brings me to my DSL X Setup screen, asking me if I want to run Xvesa or Xfbdev, what type of mouse and what keyboard layout I'm using, as if i were installing a distro. After those questions, it gives me an error:
    "
    Loading /ur/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/(my login name)/.Xauthority
    xauth: creating new authority file /home/(my login name)/.Xauthority

modprobe: modproabe: Can't locate module fb0
    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
    after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2