Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to install CentOS and I keep getting this error when I try to partition my hard drives. I have two hard disks one with 250GB and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

partitioning errors during the linux installation

Hi,

I am trying to install CentOS and I keep getting this error when I try to partition my hard drives. I have two hard disks one with 250GB and the other 500GB capacity. I want to use the 500GB hard disk for linux.

I edit the partition and format it as ext2. But when I continue, I receive this mesg. "Your boot partition is on a disk using the GPT partitioning scheme but this machine cannot boot using GPT".

Any idea how to overcome this problem ?

Thanks,

Mike

Linux User
    First read the links below to understand the GPT partitions:
    EVMS User Guide - 6.2.2. GUID Partitioning Table (GPT) Segment Manager
    Windows and GPT FAQ: Version 1.1
    GPT - Waikato Linux Users Group

If you do not want the GPT partitions you will need to delete the protected MBR GPT partition entire. You likely can use linux's fdisk ,cdisk, and others but might have to use dd to write 0's to the MBR. You will loose all data on the HDD.

Note: I have never used a GPT partitioned hdd , so any advice is a guess from reading the above links, and could be wrong.

If you are an advanced linux user might read link below,it might permit booting from the hdd as is ? (I do not understand it).
    Nabble - GPT partitioning support

Just Joined!
    Great! Deleting the GPT partition solved the problem.

Thanks,